Brightness on the Fascinate, dull whites.Support

Last Updated:

1. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok so I took the jump and grabbed a fascinate last night. Very cool phone, lots of good stuff. Here's my problem, the blacks are awesome, look so crisp and bright. However, as soon as I go in the browser I'm faced with a dull pale white on Google....wtf! The whites just don't pop, and compaired to my EVO the whites are just plain dull and not nearly as bright as the LCD on the EVO. How can an LCD have anything that is brighter then a super Amoled?

Advertisement
  2. arcanic

arcanic Member

I agree. I'm sure it's a lack of knowledge on my end (LCD vs AMOLED), but after hearing all the hoopla over the screen, I assumed it would be a lot more white. My default page is Google.com. When I first got my phone, I thought my phone was going into some dim mode or something weird. The white on the page takes a noticeable hit versus the rest of the phone.

In the end, I learned to live with it. I'm really digging the handset.

Arc:D

3. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

The auto brightness setting us quite low on the Fascinate. Raise both to highest and you'll see the whites really pop.

sean76 likes this.
  4. iPenguin

iPenguin Well-Known Member

You may already know this, but the browser has (or at least it did on the Vibrant my friend let me use) a separate brightness settting for the browser.

sean76 likes this.
  5. hanano17

hanano17 Well-Known Member

It's also there on the Fascinate.

6. Vihzel

You can only change if you don't have auto brightness on.

7. sean76

Thank You, I didnt know about the separate brightness setting in the browser, ya learn something new every day, even a tech junkie like myself...lol..mine was on like the lowest. Much Much better now!

8. sean76

Had Auto Brightness off, and cranked up all the way. Just didnt know bout the other setting within the browser....Thanks.

9. FragDroidX

FragDroidX Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that AMOLED is very bad at light colors and whites in particular. If you set your brightness to max and you use light/white alot it will make a noticable hit to the battery.

10. Vihzel

Yeah whites always kills battery on any screen.

11. FragDroidX

Thats true to an extent but its much worse for AMOLED than for LCD since LCD uses a backlight.

If you haven't read this test on battery life done by Laptop Magazine it shows just how bad light/white backrounds hurt battery life on AMOLED.
    They installed an app that ran nonstop until the batteries died. The app is just opening and closing the web. Even though the Galaxy S devices and the Droid X (with a larger screen to light) have about the same size battery, the Droid X gets over two hours more battery life. This is due to the fact that light colors/white kill AMOLED displays.

Android Battery Test Reveals Droid X Lasts Longest, AMOLED Handsets Trail

12. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Yeah this test is biased but nevertheless a decent indicator of what to expect if you do a lot of browsing on predominantly white background websites. I would say its less of an overall indicator of battery life because truly that is so dependent on what you have on and off. No one questions that the DX has overall superior battery life though. There are many things to do to maximize battery life on the SF though if thats a concern

13. FragDroidX

Yea its not so much an issue as a heads up that if you crank your brightness to max and do alot of web browsing or have alot of light/white wallpapers it will hurt your battery life more than you might expect.

14. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Agreed. Thankfully many of the websites I actually look at via the SF are dark. I'm on [H]ardOCP and TNation a lot and they are mostly black back grounds which is good for me and my battery.
    FWIW I actually have brightness at the second to the lowest setting although do I have the auto adjust thing on too.

15. FragDroidX

Love [H]ardOCP, its a most excellent site.

16. saps

saps Well-Known Member

17. makemehavefun

makemehavefun Well-Known Member

18. sho95

sho95 Well-Known Member

How do you get to that setting?

19. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Open your browser then Menu>More>Brightness Settings

20. sho95

sho95 Well-Known Member

Thank you:D

21. saps

saps Well-Known Member

22. drparty

drparty New Member

Just wanted to post this here, because when I was googling "screen brightness android" looking for a way to decrease the brightness on the amoled screen of the fascinate this page came up, but it didn't have the answer I was looking for.

I have pretty sensitive eyes like most of you on this thread (otherwise you wouldn't be looking for a dimmer), so reducing the brightness on the Fascinate was a must.

I found this app, called screen filter. Don't really know too much about it other than it works fantastically well and its free. Reduces brightness to almost nothing if you want, and the app functions as a widget for toggling as well.

So anyway, just wanted to post this for other people like myself, looking for a way to dim the lights. I don't have enough reputation to post a link, but just look up screen filter in the app market and you'll be good to go. For some reason it doesn't come up when you search for "dimmer" or "brightness", which is a shame.

ItsAboutTime likes this.