Brightness Setting - Lower?Support

Last Updated:

1. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

At night, if I'm in a dark room, I find that the lowest brightness setting is still to bright. Is there any way to make it less bright than the lowest stock setting?

I'm running rooted 2.2 OTA.

Advertisement
  2. lexluthor

I guess I'll take the silence as a no?

Or maybe it's more of a question I should pose on a dev forum like XDA. There's got to be a brightness hack out there somewhere.

3. mwm523

mwm523 Member

The only way I'm aware of is using an app called AdjBrightness. That one has the ability to take it WAY down, but you have to be rooted.

4. lexluthor

I figured root would be required for that kind of thing and I am rooted. This looks like what I'm looking for. I'll check it out.

5. kevinkar

kevinkar Member

Are you using the Brightness widget or the Settings, Display Brightness slider?

I found that the widget left the lowest setting too bright but, when I went to the Settings, the slider was not all the way to the left. Moved it all the way and now it's dark enough for me. Of course, you probably already did that and it's still too bright so, if that's the case, ignore me!

Kevin

6. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

7. lexluthor

Interesting. I was using the Quicksettings application to lower the brightness to minimum. Seems as if hitting the min button in quicksettings does bring me to 0% when I then go look in the actually stock display settings screen.

I will give this a shot.

I didn't like the adjbrightness app because it overrode my widget. This If this can make the min brightness lower, then 0% in quicksettings should be darker than 0% before this update.

8. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

It's not an app, it's an innate change to the behavior of auto brightness.

Not so sure if it changes the slider scale for manual brightness settings though. I may try this later tonight though.

9. lexluthor

Actually, I don't think this is going to help either. This says it sets the min value for auto brightness down to 2. I do think that auto brightness sometimes doesn't go low enough, but that's a different issue.

This doesn't seem like it will allow me to manually set the brightness any lower than I can set it now though.

10. lexluthor

I also just found this.
    Dimmer ( Night Mode ) - Android app on AppBrain

When I set the stock display settings to min in Quicksettings and then click this app, it says, changing display settings from 18 to 10. Then when you click it again it restores the brightness back to what it was before (whether it was fixed at a particular number or to auto if it was auto).

If 10 is dark enough, then this app will definitely suffice.

11. lexluthor

No go.

Still looking for a solution.

I don't think Dimmer gets any darker than standard stock settings.

Adjbrightness isn't working for me. I can set the brightness to a very low level, which is good, but I'm not sure how to correctly get it back to autobrightness. I close out adjbrightness and then re-set auto and it does reset, but when my phone goes to sleep, it sometimes wakes up again at the adjbrightness level.

The only way I found out of that loop is to uninstall it. Kind of worries me a little how deep it hooks in.

Any other ideas? If Adjbrightness can make it a lower level of brightness than stock, there must be other ways.

12. lexluthor

So anyone else with any ideas here?

13. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

No ideas, just a word of caution: many electrical components can burn out if they're run at too low a voltage. I don't know specifically about the LEDs that are being used for the backlight, but any brightness program that drops the levels below what are available in the system is limiting the voltage supplied past what they intended from the factory.

Like I said, maybe it's fine here, but I thought I'd just throw that out there...