BrightnessSupport

Last Updated:

1. syn ack

syn ack Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Does your brightness sensor seem to be a bit too sensitive? When I have my Incredible on auto brightness and I am reading a website I can watch it adjust up and down when there are no changes in the brightness of the room I am in.

My fix was to just select a brightness and turn auto off.. Has anyone else experienced this?

Advertisement
  2. wkd1

wkd1 Well-Known Member

Yeah same here. I use the Tasker app to automatically adjust my brightness depending on my location (at home and at work, dims. Car mode, full brightness. Between hours of 9pm-6am, dims.)

3. AnotherHiggins

AnotherHiggins Well-Known Member

I don't think many people here use the Auto-Brightness feature (based on what I've seen others post). I know I don't use it.

The light-sensor is the small 'dot' up by the earpiece. I'd guess that as you're browsing the web, your hand is intermittently blocking direct light from hitting the sensor. That makes the phone think it's less bright in the room so it lowers the brightness of the screen.

syn ack likes this.
  4. ramcharger1979

ramcharger1979 Well-Known Member

I set mine at full brightness and forget it.

5. ltbakken

ltbakken Well-Known Member

Our screens really dont use that much battery, especially in comparison to the moto phones. I also just leave it on full

6. AnotherHiggins

AnotherHiggins Well-Known Member

I think full-brightness is often way too bright. Especially in the car at night or if I'm on the phone while my wife is trying to go to sleep.

FYI: I use Setting Profiles to quickly & easily change not only screen brightness, but volumes. It can also turn on/off WiFi, bluetooth & GPS and change ringtones & wallpapers and lots more. I've only paid for 3 apps (Setting Profiles, WidgetLocker and most recently Tasker) and wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of them.

7. sabrewings

sabrewings Well-Known Member

But the blue LEDs do burn out. The higher the brightness the more you wear out the blue LEDs. See this thread:

http://androidforums.com/support-troubleshooting-incredible/90406-screen-burn.html

To the OP, it's light levels behind you that are changing. The light sensor has to peak through a little hole. If it sees a light above your head then it will brighten. If you hold it a bit different or your hand passes over the sensor to where it can't see that light it adjusts down to a more moderate setting for lower ambient light.

I use auto exclusively except when watching long videos.

8. OldMuttonHead

OldMuttonHead Well-Known Member

I actually like the autobrightness feature. I recently was playing with settings and I turned it on to try it out, and I was pleasantly surprised. I do, however, block the sensor sometimes when I've got the screen rotated, but it's a minor issue compared with being able to see the screen in the sun and not have it hurt my eyes in the dark.