Bringing a European Galaxy S phone to US?

Last Updated:

1. jbk317

jbk317 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

If I buy a Galaxy S in Spain, would I then be able to bring it back to the states, get it unlocked, and use it on a carrier in America?
    I know this is kind of a service provider question but I thought I would try it here. I HATE calling customer service.
    Thanks for any help.

Advertisement
  2. Tino

Tino Well-Known Member

I suspect so, Europe is mainly a GSM operating environment and if you unlock it I would expect that you could use it on a GSM carrier in the US (T-Mobile) providing it is the correct frequency (Quad Band). I would ask the person who is selling you the product before going ahead with it though.

3. Segfault

Segfault Well-Known Member

There are two main GSM carriers in the US, AT&T and T-Mobile. You should be able to use your phone as a GSM/EDGE phone with no issues on either one. You will not be able to get 3G on T-Mobile at all, they use really wierd 3G frequencies. You may get 3G service on AT&T. AT&T uses two frequencies for 3G (I think its 850 and 1900) while your phone has 900 and 1900. So if you are somewhere that use 1900 then you will get 3G.

I have a Euro version Nokia E71. It works fine as a GSM/Edge phone on AT&T, but I don't get any 3G service with it in Los Angeles.

4. Talbot

Talbot Well-Known Member

If you're used to using 3G though, you may really want to question it or if you might as well just buy a phone in the states. I know for me personally that using GSM/EDGE is painful for me.