Broke my old phone, getting a new oneSupport

Last Updated:

1. OldMuttonHead

OldMuttonHead Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey, guys!

I dropped my Incredible in a cup of coke. (Don't ask.. lol) It still mostly works, except the top 1/4 of the screen is flaky and the headphone jack doesn't work at all. I'm getting it replaced today, but I hate to lose all my apps/settings/etc. Is there an easy way to make my new phone exactly like my old phone? Some backup/restore thing? I've searched the market, but can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for. I've hard reset a couple of times, but now I have my phone exactly how I want it and I really don't want to go through setting it all up again if I don't have to.

Thanks!!

Rick

Advertisement
  2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Well-Known Member

i've heard good reviews of my backup pro for apps and messages. You can either sync your contacts to google (recommended) or VZ backup assistant. Or if you don't mind downloading all of your apps again you can use app brain which keeps an online list of the apps you have on your phone and can push them to your phone.

3. OldMuttonHead

I have my contacts and email all taken care of. They have been since my blackberry days. I'm more concerned with apps and app data, phone settings, stuff like that.

4. Beatlesfan

Beatlesfan Well-Known Member

If you didn't make a previous backup, you're pretty much screwed now. Sorry. :(

5. OldMuttonHead

Beatlesfan, my phone is still working, just certain parts of it are not. I can still back it up.

6. Beatlesfan

Oh lol, sorry, I'm an idiot. If I were you I'd root it and do a nandroid backup. Save the nandroid to your computer. When your new phone comes root it and restore. The two phones will be IDENTICAL.

7. sdrawkcab25

The nandroid would be saved on his sd card, no need to transfer to his computer.
    But yes the only way to back up app data is to root, which at this point is possible but not for people who aren't tech savvy and comfortable with command lines. But if you can hold off a few days the easy way to root is on it's way out.
    update: actually the easy root process will probably be out later today.

8. Beatlesfan

It never hurts to backup the backup lol. But yeah, rooting a phone with the november ota is a bit hard right now. You have a week to mail your old phone in, and unrevoked should have their new one click root out any day now.

9. OldMuttonHead

I'm a computer tech so I'm comfortable rooting my phone. :) Thanks for the help, guys.

10. Beatlesfan

Oh sweet! Go search in the root section and on xda and you'll be rooted in no time. Good luck! Any other questions just ask!

11. sdrawkcab25

unrevoked will be shipping the new root program later today.
    http://twitter.com/unrevoked

@oldmuttonhead if you have a newer incredible(SLCD screen) the root process may still be different for you as your screen type is not supported. You'd have to flash a different custom recovery than what comes with the root program. You'd follow the instructions here to get your custom recovery working http://dougpiston.com and follow these instructions to get your "broken" phone back to stock.
    http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/181255-how-downgrade-official-2-2-a.html

Beatlesfan likes this.
  12. Beatlesfan

13. OldMuttonHead

My phone is an original Incredible. I got it the week it was released.

14. Beatlesfan

If you got the ota update that was released in November then you really should wait until unrevoked puts out their updated root app.

15. sdrawkcab25

you'll have no problems then, root, and do a Nandroid backup, unroot it, and when you have your new phone(refurb probably) root it and restore the nandroid. I had to do the same thing about 2 months ago.