• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Broke phone with build.prop!

Alex Boullé

Jul 18, 2015
Help! On my samsung galaxy y gts5363, I edited the build prop to make my phone think its a Samsung galaxy s3. But now it does not open any apos and displays the message "application stopped unexpectedly". All my apps are useless apart from texting and calling. I edited the build.prop with an app, but now I can't open the app to edit it again. Also I've tried accessing it on a pc, but I can't find it.

Please help!

I dont know how to reinstall the stock firmware
What region you in?

You can use Kies or Odin to re-flash the stock firmware.
Make sure your device have at least 80% battery power. [How to Check Battery Percentage in Android Device]
You already have USB Driver Installed for Galaxy Y in your PC. If not then you should download and install Kies from Samsung website.
Make sure USB Debugging is enabled. [Guide]

Upvote 0
Turn on USB Debugging. And you've nothing to lose by trying I guess... Ive used Odin to flash a rooted phone back to stock and it was fine but it's your own risk.
And I don't think you want it to be recognised as a media device but we need a Samsung expert to confirm that

Last edited:
Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones