• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Broken Charge Port

Old Member

Android Expert
Mar 23, 2010
Cincinnati
My wife's Incredible had a tiny piece of plastic break out of the charging port just prior to Thanksgiving. Now when you plug the cord in to be charged you either have to hold it in or lay it completely flat and hope it stays in otherwise it falls out. We believed it still charged fine, but over the past few weeks, her battery life has gotten progressively worse. I know I could go back to stock and get a warranty replacement and shell out the $90 but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen to their Incredible too. When I listed the title of this thread 5 "similar threads" were found about broken charging ports, they were all in the EVO forum. I wonder if this is a problem with HTC phones in general. Thoughts? Complaints? Similar stories? :thinking:

You are confused. The $90 is a deductible for the insurance, not warranty. Warranty is from the manufacturer (HTC), is valid for one year, and covers all damages that are not your fault (i.e. workmanship). The warranty is free.

Submit for a new phone under the warranty. They really should not have a problem, as a broken charge port is clearly a workmanship thing. Unless, or course, you somehow let it slip that you tried sharpening a pencil in that port. :p

Hope that helps,
Nkk

EDIT: 6 threads (including yours) is nothing given the population of owners on these forum. I would say the evidence is inconclusive as to this being a chronic problem. If anything, it points to it not being a problem, but since I do not know how many people there are that broke the port and did not say a thing on this forum it is hard to say.

Upvote 0
I had the SAME thing happen with my Thunderbolt, only two weeks after buying it. I brought it to the store, and they told me because it was PHYSICAL damage, they treat it the same as if I dropped it in water or smashed it on the ground. I had to pay the $75 deductible to get it replaced less than a month after getting it. They also told me that if I tried to do a manufacturers warranty and replace it, and they saw that the port was broken like that they would charge my account for the FULL retail price of the phone. Needless to say I was not happy. I didn't rough this phone up in fact I baby it, and its my first transition to a legitimate Driod smartphone... so far its off to a rocky start.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones