Broken Charger Port on Rooted Phone

Last Updated:

1. Kdash9

Kdash9 Member This Topic's Starter

Ok so my charging port is broke but Im rooted
    Would sprint be able to still fix it under warranty since they dont need to see my software to operate? Or would they be douches and check?

Advertisement
  2. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

well, you would send it to htc, but if you call sprint and talk to manager they will swap it, it may take a few tries. Also, it would be a good idea to backup your sdcard and unroot

This happened to me, and thats what i did

3. Kdash9

How long would I be without a phone if I swap?
    Im going to go to the sprint repair store to try to get them to fix it. They cant swap it because they claim they are out of stock. I managed to turn my S-On but i cant muster enough battery to get the entire pc36img file on it. If my S-on is on, is that good enough?

4. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

They should be able to order one for you, and getting enough battery, i had to sit there with my thumb on the port to get it to charge

The sprint repair guys i know would not care if phone was rooted, while it voids warranty, there is no argument that this is a design flaw

5. Kdash9

Great, so I dont have to worry about the fact that i still have that Fresh 3.3 installed?

6. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

not at the moment, if the phone gets swapped out then maybe

7. Kdash9

Damn. I hope when I go tomorrow they can fix it.

8. Kdash9

what if i go back to what appears to be stock?

9. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

that may work if you have s-on, i would try to go back to close to stock of an older rom then see if you can run a ota update

10. Kdash9

Alright, and I assume id be able to root again after the ota?

11. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

yes

12. Kdash9

thanks man much appreciated

13. Kdash9

sadly i cant get it to charge and the battery is completely dead, so i wont be able to perform the ota

14. thumperyz69

thumperyz69 Well-Known Member

15. Matlock

Matlock Well-Known Member

If the phone is dead, and the Battery Port is snapped, then why worry? They can't charge it to see if it is stock or even if they repair it shouldn't matter. If you do have to pay because it's Warranty is Void, they won't know until after it's repaird, and it is not going to the retail price of the repair bill. It may be $100+ out of pocket. Not sure how much they charge now-a-days.

16. XXXToolManXXX

XXXToolManXXX New Member

if it is just a charging issue , charge battery in external charger.

17. xtravbx

xtravbx Well-Known Member

Sprint does not care if your phone is rooted. Honestly there are NO reported issues of Sprint denying warranty claims for a rooted phone.

18. exclamation_mark

exclamation_mark Well-Known Member

I had to take my EVO in to have the rear speaker replaced as it had blown. The Rep asked me if i had rooted the phone when he saw my layout, i didn't answer the root question and told him that the layout was from launcherpro. I thought that would be the end of the questioning until he pulled the battery to read the bar code on the back for a workorder. Well i had the LCARS boot animation on there and it's moderatly loud, when the phone booted and it started i thought my goose was cooked. He looks at me and askes if this is part of launcherpro also, i replied No, it's a custom boot animation. He then told me that the techs will check to see if it's rooted and if it is then they wont do any work to it because it voids the warranty. I said ok and he took it back. Now, i will admit i was slightly concerned, then i started talking to a tech guy that was moving numbers to a different phone. Asked him a few things and then he relized that it was my EVO back there and he smiled. "So that's your pimped out EVO huh?" i told him yeah and he said "i like what you have done with it" and then asked me what ROM i was using :) I told him and we chatted. Turns out he was the lead technician for that store.

Just goes to show, while the reps are fast to cover their a$$, most of the techs dont care about root. Shoot, this one wanted more info :)