broken lcd/ looking for repair schematicSupport

Last Updated:

1. jonc913

jonc913 New Member This Topic's Starter

Does anyone have the schematic or manual for replacing the lcd? If you could pass on a link that'd be awesome thanks

Advertisement
  2. jdodds

jdodds Well-Known Member

I searched high and low on Google to find this for myself. Found many article claiming to have the leaked service manual only to have them point me to dead download links.

Then I found the download right here on Phandroid! Thanks Phandroid for hosting the file!

http://phandroid.com/htc-magic-manual.pdf

My replacement screen is out for delivery right now!

3. MoreYummy

MoreYummy Well-Known Member

How much is the lcd?

4. jdodds

jdodds Well-Known Member

I think on ebay the LCD runs about $90-100. I just replaced my glass digitizer, lcd did not break with it. The digitizer was only $50 on ebay.

5. MoreYummy

MoreYummy Well-Known Member

Oh, so 2 pieces on the front, one to block scratch, and another layer for actual display.

6. jdodds

jdodds Well-Known Member

Yeah that is sort of right. But the glass outer layer is also your digitizer (touch sensor) and not just a protective layer.

7. tripy

tripy Member

Any hints on how to disassemble the digitizer and the lcd ?
    I cracked my lcd screen, and have followed the manual up to the LCM part, but the digitizer and the lcd seems to by glued together.
    I'm a bit afraid to go too hard on it, and to crack it too.

8. jdodds

jdodds Well-Known Member

I was a little worried too, but just be gentle with anything thin and plastic and work around the outer edges. It is just the very outer edge that is glued.

Also note in order to get it installed properly, you'll need to scrape any broken glass out of the face plate portion, otherwise the new screen will not sit correctly.

9. tripy

tripy Member

Thanks jdodd. I will give it a try this weekend. I feel bad to leave an otherwise nice phone in a drawer just because of this.

10. jdodds

jdodds Well-Known Member

Any success with that?

11. tripy

tripy Member

Sorry, I forgot to come back to this thread.

Yep, I have successfully separated the 2 elements. I feel a bit stupid having buyed a second phone now.
    :-/

But hey, I will keep it as spare, if anything happens.
    Thank for the directions !

12. jdodds

jdodds Well-Known Member

Sucks to be me. Somehow I got a small crack in my lcd while walking with it in my jacket pocket, go figure.

So i wasn't sure if it was a crack or maybe just a loose connection or something. Pulled it all apart to check it out and well, it was a crack and prying the digitizer apart from the lcd made it even worse! Now I have to buy an lcd, but at least they have come down in price it seems!

13. mixasb19

mixasb19 New Member

Hello,
    How did you guys join the lcd with the digitizer back together? Did you use some kind of glue, or double sided tape, or something else? I just cracked my digitizer last weekend, has about ten cracks running through the screen. About to order one off of eBay, but want to make sure I have everything covered before I dig into it.

Thanks!!!

14. jdodds

jdodds Well-Known Member

No Glue or tape needed. There will be a little bit of glue along the outer edges that you wont be able to get off anyways, should be just enough to hold it together while you put the phone back together.

The phone's case holds everything in place well enough.

You'll have to scrape out broken glass bits or things just wont sit right. Be very careful and only work around the very outer edges to pry the digitizer and lcd apart.

I have now replaced my digitizer once, and my lcd once on separate occasions. I think I qualify as an expert now! LOL

mixasb19 likes this.
  15. mixasb19

mixasb19 New Member

Thanks jdodds!
    I've ordered the digitizer today online from Hong Kong. Hope it doesn't take too long, it's too painful to look at this screen the way it is. Let you know how it went...