Broken power button on HTC DesireSupport

1. Asgan

Asgan New Member

HI,

So, long story short. My powerbutton broke because my phone got wet, so now i can't put my phone in sleep mode or take it out of it.

Is there any app i can use to change so that instead my search button (that i never use) puts the phone in sleep mode and takes it out of it aswell?

I have been looking at a link at wiki-droid on how to remap your buttons. But it doesent seem to work with Desire.

I might add that my phone has not been rooted and i would like to keep it that way if possible.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Intruder

Intruder Well-Known Member

Think the only choice you have is root it and put a custom rom on it as some use trackpad thing to wake and unlock it... Why don't you want to root it btw?
  3. Asgan

Asgan New Member

Well, mainly because i'm not very technical.

But i guess if i can keep my Sense GUI i would be ok with it.

There is no file i can change in like this: (sorry for the wall of text, but i cant post links yet)

4. amlothi

amlothi Well-Known Member

I believe Widget Locker allows you to wake the phone using different buttons. WL is a lockscreen replacement, and it's a paid app, but it's very good. This might be able to do what you are looking for.

Don't let your phone run out of battery though, or you might not be able to turn it back on! I'd seriously suggest you try getting it fixed instead of using an app to get around it, because there are some things that you cannot do without the power button and you may end up with a phone you can't use at all.
  5. AndyBones

AndyBones Well-Known Member

if rooted I can easily help you make it so you can turn your phone on using the volume keys, PM me
  6. pezzer

pezzer Active Member

I have a widget to do this on my home screen Lock Screen widget (I got this to save my power on/off button) and then I used to use the 'No Lock' app so that I could wake with the buttons/trackpad, until I rooted and then my rom (LeeDroid HD port) does this as standard.

hth
  7. 999life

999life Member

Just got the same problem here, a bit of water and now the off button doesn't work! Luckily I'm rooted with leedroid, I am interested to know how I can turn the phone on using the volume keys though.
  8. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

You can't. The hardware button is a hardware button and since the phone is off, you cannot use software to change the function of a button.
  9. 999life

999life Member

So if my phone powers off for any reason will I now be unable to turn it back on again?
  10. madhatter1689

madhatter1689 Well-Known Member

11. 999life

999life Member

Interesting, I was just about to say i've had it over 18 months now, didn't realise there is a 2 year warranty, thanks for that info, I'll have a look at unrooting and sending it back then.

In the mean time, will I be able to turn my phone on at all with no power button?
  12. madhatter1689

madhatter1689 Well-Known Member

I doubt it, but I would let others, more able, comment on that.
  13. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Don't think so no
  14. lifeonmtv

lifeonmtv Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I switched on a samsung galaxy s that had a broken power button with a USB jig i bought on ebay, dunno if HTC have an equivalent method.
  15. container

container New Member

I've had phone for a couple of months now without the power button using "Fix Broken Power Button" application, worked well on 2.3 Android.
    You could switch on the phone by taking the battery out and back in.

I have upgraded two days ago on 4.0 and now the app doesn't work. I would love to root my phone now ... but I think I need to use the power button to do that!!

(or do I?).

Well, haven't even tried the repair as they say we have a terrible repair service here. and 2 yrs warranty? I thought one! Hmm ....