broken screen on EVO, no insurance

Last Updated:

1. jtrayns

jtrayns New Member This Topic's Starter

broke my screeen this morning. EVO still works, but glass is cracked al over. Should have bought insurance, but didn't (please no, "I told you so", ok?).

Best way to fix?? Can you order parts (replacement screen on line) and do yourself? Warranty no good anyway at this point?

Advertisement
  2. Jay-Eff

Jay-Eff Well-Known Member

3. 10splaya22

10splaya22 Well-Known Member

They should have the glass other places for cheaper since you won't need the actual LCD underneath.

4. Vulcan

Vulcan Well-Known Member

should of gone to best buy i did $7 per month covers that

5. StuartTX

StuartTX Member

You are "that guy" aren't you? Congratulations on your insurance. Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. uniquenameEVO

uniquenameEVO Well-Known Member

7. jtrayns

jtrayns New Member This Topic's Starter

whether best buy or sprint cverage - it only covers electronics, not dropping

8. edlex

edlex Well-Known Member

Sprint covers everything. It requires $100 deductible or accidental or water damage as well as lost or stolen.

9. ekang

ekang Well-Known Member

Didn't the op ask for no "i told you so" regarding insurance?

Op: sorry to hear about your phone but I don't think there is any way around dropping at least $150 plus repair costs and also time away from having a phone. It sucks but there's no easy cheap solution.

10. LazyEngineer

LazyEngineer Active Member

Actually, unless you know for certain that you are particularly abusive to your equipment, then on average insurance is a terrible investment. 2*12*7+100 > $150. Yes, sometimes you will lose by not getting the insurance. But almost always lose if you do purchase the insurance.

Now here is the question: what happens in a year when the next big thing is released, you have the insurance, and you break your phone? Do you (A) get a new obsolete EVO, or (B) do they give you the newest awesomeness?

If the answer is A, then insurance is a particularly poor investment.

11. axisofoil

axisofoil Well-Known Member

@LaxyEngineer Depends on if the evo is discontinued at that time or not. Asurion is now replacing Droids with Droid X's and Incredibles.

@OP That sucks... keep us posted on if you are able to source a new display.

HTC has been swearing over and over that the touchscreen and LCD are a sealed unit, so you will probably need to buy a new LCD/touchscreen/glass to get the new glass. :/

12. hsh.shawn

hsh.shawn Well-Known Member

HTC has been swearing over and over that the touchscreen and LCD are a sealed unit, so you will probably need to buy a new LCD/touchscreen/glass to get the new glass. :/[/QUOTE]

So does that mean i definitely won't have dust under the screen effect like my hero? My work is a dusty environment i leave the phone in the office but never helped with the hero?

13. tripod

tripod New Member

A little tip that you guys might be able to use: every time you do an ESN swap (aka switch what phone you have linked to the account) you can add/remove TEP (insurance). Therefore, if you swap your EVO for another phone, you can add TEP and then switch back to the EVO. The insurance will be switched to the EVO and then you can file an insurance claim, pay the $100 deductible, and then get a new EVO.

14. jgalan14

jgalan14 Well-Known Member

Mm go to the Sprint repair center, when I had my blackberry touch on Verizon I didnt have insurance not more and I was able to get the screen fix from verizon for 50$ just try Sprint to see what they say

15. uniquenameEVO

uniquenameEVO Well-Known Member

Way easier to steal this way than at a retail store.

16. kai3781

kai3781 New Member

This happened to me too. I lost mine and didn't get the insurance and it was after the 30 days. But if you still have your box there is a loophole. If you put a different phone on the account that wasn't previously on the account (maybe a friend's old phone) then you have the right to put insurance on the account. After that if you bring in the box for your EVO they can scan it back in and put it back on your account with insurance, and then you can make your claim. Its a bit of a hassel but it works. I just put my claim in on sat and it got approved

17. billowred

billowred Member

Best Buy covers everything and no deductible.

18. teky

teky Well-Known Member

Well, what you did is blatant insurance fraud. You are running up the premiums of honest people who are paying for insurance and making the task of filing legitimate claims that much harder. Thanks, you freeloader.