• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Broken Volume Button

v0laticus

Lurker
Aug 8, 2010
So I bought a used Eris off Ebay thats volume down button was broken (not the rocker but the actual button that the rocker presses). I knew the button was broken when I bought it and I didn't really care for a while, but tonight when I was trying to fiddle with it, I accidentally popped it out. Is it worth opening the phone to try to solder it back on?

EDIT: Also, how do I navigate through the recovery menu without a volume down button?

Well, you know the warranty does not transfer over from the original owner. Otherwise, this would be a warranty issue that would be fixed ASAP.

I'm not familiar with soldering things back on, so that's up to you.

As far as rebooting into recovery, download a free app called ROM Manager. This allow you to boot into recovery without pressing any buttons. Just choose the option to do so.

Upvote 0
Yeah that's the price I pay for picking up a phone for cheap off Ebay. I've just been using Audio Manager or whatever to control my volume, but it is kind of irritating not having the ability to turn the volume down without running an app. Thanks or the idea for ROM Manager. I ended up just yanking the battery and booting back into recovery when I needed to go back in the menu. Probably not the best way to do it, but it worked. Thanks though I'll definitely use that in the future.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones