• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

brought a Desire back to Canada without reading these posts first...

v0yeur

Lurker
Apr 27, 2010
Hi Everyone - am new to the forums, and wish I had practiced due diligence and read up on the whole UMTS band differences between the N1 and the Desire BEFORE buying one and bringing it over.

I pretty much know the answer to this, but I guess the antenna would be different from one used in an official North American model, and that it wouldn't be a firmware/software limitation of the device?

Guess I'll be changing the ROM on my N1 again /sigh.

hey - anybody want a previously enjoyed, Desire? :(

I emailed HTC to as about the desire compatibility in Canada as im moving there next year here is the email:

New Response
Hello Thank you for contacting me regarding the use of the phone in Canada. for most networks you will have no problem with using the phone. below is a link to GSMWorld that shows all networks in canada and the bands they operate on. The phone works (for voice calls) on 850/900/1800/1900 MHz bands whihc you will see from the link most networks do too. There are some that use the 1700 band which the phone has no 1700 band radio inside so i would avoid these networks if you can. hope this informaiton helps. Gary S HTC Desire has the following radios in (if brought in Europe) Europe: * HSPA/WCDMA: 900/2100 MHz * GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz link to GSMWorld showing all networks and the band they use. GSM Coverage Maps | Canada

So what i gathered it should work no problem, im sure i asked specifically bout 3g compatibility as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones