Brown HTC Hero --- US AT&T 3G

Last Updated:

1. jbarrack

jbarrack Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

I am new to this forum but not new to Android --- I had a white HTC Hero and sold it for a Brown Hero because I read online that the Brown one come with 850/1900 Mhz bands which would pick up AT&T 3G. However, I am unable to get this device to connect to AT&T 3G. It connects to edge no problem. However, in places where my iPhone 3GS had 3G signal, this device just picks up Edge. These are the APN settings I am currently using ...

Name: AT&T
    APN: wap.cingular
    Proxy: leave blank
    Port: leave blank
    Username:WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password:CINGULAR1
    Server: leave blank
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
    MMS Port: 80
    MCC:310
    MNC:410
    APN Type: leave blank

Am I missing a step or do I have an incorrect APN setting? The back of the box does say 850/900/1800/1900MHz.

Thank you in advance for any help. It's greatly appreciated!

Advertisement
  2. rioja

rioja Guest

Your settings look ok; however, the phone might not support 3G on 850 band.

AFAIK, the only Hero to support this is the Telus version from Canada. If you don't have a Telus Hero, it's probably EDGE only.

3. quantumrand

quantumrand Well-Known Member

The back of the box says GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz. That is the EDGE frequency. You need a HSPA/UMTS 850/1900MHz for AT&T 3G. I'm guessing your HSPA is probably 900/2100MHz as per all other European Heros.

Like rioja said, you need the Canadian Telus Hero to use 3G on AT&T.

4. Twenty4

Twenty4 Member

The model number under the battery should say Hero130.

The Euro version is the Hero100/A6262
    The Telus (US3G) version is Hero130/A6265

5. jbarrack

Yeah you guys are right. I ordered off expansys-usa and the writing on the back is foreign --- I imagine the Euro version.

You know, I love this phone. I have a 3GS and I find the integration and information at your fingertips via widgets to be the major draw. I am around WiFi almost all the time --- the one thing I really miss is my 3G service. Edge on this is actually not bad when it come to update widgets and whatnot.

Any ideas on where to get a Telus Hero unlocked from? Best Buy Canada?

6. quantumrand

quantumrand Well-Known Member

Ebay is pretty much your best bet for now, but it'll set you back a good $500+.

7. jbarrack

Yeah I paid $500+ for this one I have now and could probably get most of it back in ebay auction like I did with my other one ... Definitely something to consider.

8. silvrhwk

silvrhwk New Member

Hi all, newbie with a new toy here. :) I just got my black HTC Hero. (Yes, it is the Telus version.) I wanted to just say THANK YOU! The settings listed at the top of this thread worked beautifully and my Hero now cruises on AT&T's network with (what seems like) blazing speed (HSDPA, not 3G, but better! :D). Called AT&T before looking here and got ZERO help because "it is not a branded AT&T phone." Got it to work anyway thanks to you all! I am a happy Android user now. :eek: