• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Browse the web from a tethered phone

Don't know if it's just t-mobile's network or a bug in the tether app but I notice that some pages begin loading fast and then take forever to finish loading. My phone indicated it was connected 3g all the time but the browser sure feels slow.

Try hooking your phone up to wifi and comparing. T-Mobile have been fairly buggy during my tests (at least it's easier for me to blame them)

Upvote 0
Here is my new speed :) I'm not using the build in Proxy on Firefox i had to download FoxyProxy in order to use Socks v5

Those look like pretty awesome speeds!

I can't get it to go much above 1mbit even on wifi. It could be an artifact of your TCP receive window size. Generally on XP this defaults to 64k but it would probably need to be larger to maximize throughput on a high bandwidth high latency link like this.

Upvote 0
Those look like pretty awesome speeds!

I can't get it to go much above 1mbit even on wifi. It could be an artifact of your TCP receive window size. Generally on XP this defaults to 64k but it would probably need to be larger to maximize throughput on a high bandwidth high latency link like this.

speed-test.jpg

Upvote 0
I got the application install failed thing (again), but I used adb install blah.apk, and it installed fine (WOO). I have to say this version is 100000000x better - It doesn't take multiple tries to load a page, it operates at the same speed as my phone does (according to speedtest.net:
351659322.png
), and it works without a hitch on my laptop :D

Thanks a bunch - this is one of those killer apps that really makes or breaks a device.

Edit, new speedtest closer to me shows marginally better speed:
351661842.png
. This is basically what the mobile speedtests have given me (my speed when I am inside is cut in half for some reason). Regardless of the speed this will be very nice for long drives in the car when there's nothing else to do :).

Another edit: When I connect to IRC while tethering (mibbit, pjirc, etc), it connects fine then after 30 seconds or so it times out, I'm assuming because of some setting. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
RWW at this page..
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/developer_releases_tethering_app_for_android.php

says..
use the following command..
--------
Change to the directory that has the adb utility, using inside the SDK Tools folder and run: Windows: adb forward tcp:8080 localabstract:proxy
Linux/Mac: ./adb forward tcp:8080 localabstract:proxy ------------

the documentation on the site http://graha.ms/androidproxy/
says..

-------------------
Move to the directory that has the adb utility, using inside the Sdk Tools folder and run

Windows: adb forward tcp:1080 tcp:1080

Linux/Mac: ./adb forward tcp:1080 tcp:1080

--------

On the Android phone I see that it is running on port.. is 1080..

why is this confusion being created??

I have tried both ways.. and I am unable to connect even after I have set up my proxy in firefox using switchproxy plugin and set the socks proxy to 1080.

Any way to resolve this?

Upvote 0
the documentation on the site http://graha.ms/androidproxy/

For some reason, people felt the need to copy my original (and now obsolete) documentation to their own sites. The answers on graha.ms are more recent.

The main problem people seem to be having is that they are putting the proxy address in as an HTTP Proxy (which was correct for the old slower version) but now you need to leave that field blank and just include the socks proxy.

Upvote 0
Another edit: When I connect to IRC while tethering (mibbit, pjirc, etc), it connects fine then after 30 seconds or so it times out, I'm assuming because of some setting. Any ideas?

Nice, i'm guessing you are on edge?

I think it might be the timeout that clears sockets if they don't have any activity.

Try the port bouncer/tunnel instead of Socks. Enter ircserver.whatever.com and port 6667 into the phone, run the other adb command and then connect mIRC to the local port (4444).

Both services should work fine at the same time

Upvote 0
I got the application install failed thing (again), but I used adb install blah.apk, and it installed fine (WOO). I have to say this version is 100000000x better - It doesn't take multiple tries to load a page, it operates at the same speed as my phone does (according to speedtest.net:
351659322.png
), and it works without a hitch on my laptop :D

Thanks a bunch - this is one of those killer apps that really makes or breaks a device.

Edit, new speedtest closer to me shows marginally better speed:
351661842.png
. This is basically what the mobile speedtests have given me (my speed when I am inside is cut in half for some reason). Regardless of the speed this will be very nice for long drives in the car when there's nothing else to do :).

Which browser work for you?

Upvote 0
Nice, i'm guessing you are on edge?

I think it might be the timeout that clears sockets if they don't have any activity.

Try the port bouncer/tunnel instead of Socks. Enter ircserver.whatever.com and port 6667 into the phone, run the other adb command and then connect mIRC to the local port (4444).

Both services should work fine at the same time

Yeah, I'm using edge. I'll try the port bouncer later, never thought to use that though (I did test it with SSH, works perfectly :) )
I didn't know you could do both at once, that's super cool :D

EDIT!!!
I think I have found the problem that people are having with firefox and getting it to work. When I was using the proxy I still had my wifi connection open (on my laptop), which wouldn't seem to matter (it looked like all of my traffic was going through the proxy), but it turns out that firefox was sitll using my wifi network NOT THE PROXY, for DNS requests (meaning that it wasn't using the proxy when there was no connection). This caused sites to not load. I had to go into firefox and change one thing: network.proxy.socks_remote_dns to TRUE. Close the tab, then restart! With it set to false, nothing would load (save for stuff in my DNS cache), when I set it to true new sites that weren't in my DNS cache loaded fine :). I hope that helps everyone - I am browsing now with my wifi turned off on my laptop.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'm using edge. I'll try the port bouncer later, never thought to use that though (I did test it with SSH, works perfectly :) )
I didn't know you could do both at once, that's super cool :D

Should work fine. That's partly why I did it that way.

Firefox doesn't seem good at cleaning up its socks connections when its not using them so to avoid bogging down the phone, they close after a relatively short idle period.

The bouncer should be better in that respect.

Upvote 0
(I edited this into my post above, but I just wanted to post it here so everyone could see it)

think I have found the problem that people are having with firefox and getting it to work. When I was using the proxy I still had my wifi connection open (on my laptop), which wouldn't seem to matter (it looked like all of my traffic was going through the proxy), but it turns out that firefox was sitll using my wifi network NOT THE PROXY, for DNS requests (meaning that it wasn't using the proxy when there was no connection). This caused sites to not load. I had to go into firefox and change one thing: change network.proxy.socks_remote_dns to TRUE in about:config. Close the tab, then restart! With it set to false, nothing would load (save for stuff in my DNS cache), when I set it to true new sites that weren't in my DNS cache loaded fine
smile.gif
. I hope that helps everyone - I am browsing now with my wifi turned off on my laptop.

Upvote 0
(I edited this into my post above, but I just wanted to post it here so everyone could see it)

think I have found the problem that people are having with firefox and getting it to work. When I was using the proxy I still had my wifi connection open (on my laptop), which wouldn't seem to matter (it looked like all of my traffic was going through the proxy), but it turns out that firefox was sitll using my wifi network NOT THE PROXY, for DNS requests (meaning that it wasn't using the proxy when there was no connection). This caused sites to not load. I had to go into firefox and change one thing: change network.proxy.socks_remote_dns to TRUE in about:config. Close the tab, then restart! With it set to false, nothing would load (save for stuff in my DNS cache), when I set it to true new sites that weren't in my DNS cache loaded fine
smile.gif
. I hope that helps everyone - I am browsing now with my wifi turned off on my laptop.
]

This seems to fix the blank page with Firefox :)

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0
I got this working with limewire also just setup the same way you setup your broswer. Also my colleague and I are making a program to run so you will not have to go to the command prompt and type anything. I will post after it is done. :)

Just create a batch file, I call mine tether.bat, and place it in your windows/system32/ folder..

C:\WINDOWS2\system32>type tether.bat
adb forward tcp:1080 tcp:1080

Run it by typing tether in the run window or make a shortcut.

Upvote 0
Awesome program but I still find that pages start to download quickly and then take forever to finish or even time out. This happens both on 3g but also when the phone is connected using my wifi at home.

I didn't quite follow the instructions below. I have set firefox to use SOCKS for proxy for DNS lookups in the tools/options/advanced/network/settings. How do I set network.proxy.socks_remote_dns to TRUE? Where is about:config?

thanks

"I think I have found the problem that people are having with firefox and getting it to work. When I was using the proxy I still had my wifi connection open (on my laptop), which wouldn't seem to matter (it looked like all of my traffic was going through the proxy), but it turns out that firefox was sitll using my wifi network NOT THE PROXY, for DNS requests (meaning that it wasn't using the proxy when there was no connection). This caused sites to not load. I had to go into firefox and change one thing: change network.proxy.socks_remote_dns to TRUE in about:config. Close the tab, then restart! "

Upvote 0
Install the app on the G1 check
Install Android driver on PC check
Setup browser socks: localhost port:1080 check
Run adb forward tcp:1080 tcp:1080 check

At this point it seems that everything is set up correctly. The browser still does not connect to the web. If I put an ip in the address bar the page will load fine. It seem that DNS resolution is not happening. Any suggestions?

BTW for anyone not getting adb to run correctly, I assumed that since I could see the device in my explorer that it was working......wrong! Make sure to install the android driver. Hope this helps

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones