Browser apk WILL NOT install

1. dtlaluv

dtlaluv New Member

I go the apk from the forum here. I used Root Explorer to move it to the system/ app folder, I changed permissions to match the rest of the apps. IT WON'T INSTALL when I click install or when I reboot either. What am I doing wrong? This is so frustrating :confused:

Advertisement
    :
  2. macjay420

macjay420 Well-Known Member

leave it there...open up terminal type su then enter...then type
    chmod 644 system/apps/browser.apk...its kinda early for me but im pretty sure that will install it..as long as you dnt get any errors your good.reboot and enjoy..
  3. Kaiser17

Kaiser17 Well-Known Member

Or you can just remove it, and use Opera or Dolphin. That's what I did.
  4. Insanecrane

Insanecrane Well-Known Member

The browser apk is required to use the market with the M. It's been well documented in these forums that you can't remove or replace it with anything and have the market function as it is supposed to do so.
  5. p-bOt

p-bOt Well-Known Member

really because mine is working fine and I got rid of the stock browser a long time ago. Im running cm7 now but I was rooted with the stock stock rom and the stock browser removed for a long time and the market was fine.
  6. Kaiser17

Kaiser17 Well-Known Member

You don't need the stock browser.
  7. dtlaluv

dtlaluv New Member

ok I tried this, but I keep getting a message saying that the file or folder does not exist. The file is IN the system app folder. It just isn't being found or something. grrrr :(
  8. dtlaluv

dtlaluv New Member

I got the file using Opera :/
  9. dtlaluv

dtlaluv New Member

Anyone else having this issue? Im still stuck with this :/
  10. BrandonOptimus

BrandonOptimus Well-Known Member

Make sure you have browser.apk and move it with root explorer to the /system/app folder. Then you make sure its in it, don't install it and proceed to terminal emulator. It will show up with a $ with a blank line. Type in such then it changes to # once in that you type in chmod 644 system/app/Browser.apk and click enter
    It should not say anything and start a new line with the # again. From there in terminal you type in reboot and let it load up. If it doesn't work then it could be that you can just simply flash another rom on it.
  11. bobdamnit

bobdamnit Well-Known Member

Fixed it for ya Brandon!
    BrandonOptimus likes this.
  12. BrandonOptimus

BrandonOptimus Well-Known Member

Oops. The word such was suppose to be su. Stupid auto correct lol
  13. tripdoc79

tripdoc79 Well-Known Member

or you can do a adb push to system/apps either way it should work
  14. johngoodin

johngoodin Active Member

Can someone post a link to browser.API for CM7. Somehow mine got corrupted and crashes right after starting. I don't want to reinstall the CM7.2 Stable and lose al my apps and settings. I have several ClockWorkMod backups. Is there any way to just restore the stock browser?