1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

General Browser recommendations for SGS3?

1. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member

The stock Browser is pretty bad I'm finding. It wont let me re-arrange or even delete the bookmarks it came with. I don't know if this is carrier branding or Samsung's doing.

What 3rd party browsers has everyone tested that work well with this resolution?

Anyone rooted tried to swap out for the standard ICS browser?

Advertisement
  2. XplosiV

XplosiV Master X is Watching You VIP Member

On my portal I tried a few, but keep in mind that's a 3.7" screen and was running CynogenMod. Tried;
    Skyfire
    Dolphin HD
    Firefox (wouldn't even install)
    Opera mini
    Opera mobile

The first two pretty much just sucked, in that they were over complicated and 'busy' looking, opera mini was fast due to data compression but for me opera mobile won out.

All depends on what you need.

Due to the above I just went straight for opera mobile on my S3, and that does what I need, and keeps things simple, only gripe is it would be nice to be able to change the default search site from Google.com to Google.co.uk
    SUroot likes this.
  3. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member

Yeah that would bother me.

Ive tried them all on my 3.7" desire. Boat Browser won that one but I prefered GB stock....

Theres chrome now though isnt there for ICS? May look into that
  4. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

Don't have the GS3 yet but running official ICS T-Mobile just rolled out on my GS2. I was using Dolphin HD and thought it was great but just started recently using Opera mobile. Its much faster than Dolphin and I'm really happy with it.
  5. XplosiV

XplosiV Master X is Watching You VIP Member

There could well be, but I've never really understood why some browsers came along, namely Firefox and chrome, Firefox to me is ugly as sin and doesn't really do anything that opera can't do (at least on a pc) and chrome just sounded like an excuse for Google to harvest even more personal info to sell onto marketing companies (probably the same for Android as a whole I know but still) anyways, opera works for me, I hope you find something that does the job for you, good luck!

Side note, least with operation you can just save a speed dial as Google.co.uk and use that instead of the default search box
  6. Covart

Covart Well-Known Member

Maxthon Web Browser
    SUroot likes this.
  7. Crafty

Crafty Well-Known Member

On my old desire I didn't like the stock browser much or dolphin. I used Opera on that.
    On the S3 I've found chrome is pretty quick but even the stock one isn't bad..
  8. matttye

matttye Well-Known Member

I really like Chrome browser. It's really fast and has the best UI imo.
  9. sherlock5545

sherlock5545 Well-Known Member

Opera doesn't support Flash Player, Firefox neither, and it sucks (altough Firefox is awesome on Windows).

Dolphin HD is the way to go, at least for me. And it has some very useful plug-ins.
  10. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member

Ooh never heard of that one.
  11. Covart

Covart Well-Known Member

It is the most pc like for Android. Plus, you can add swipe gestures like dolphin if you choose to do so. I just like the fact that the tabs stay in place and don't scroll away from view when you scroll down. Page up and down see thru buttons on the right were a plus for me, as was home, refresh, favorites and forward and back buttons on all the page. I tried every other browser and this was the closest I could get to a browser like Atomic on iOS.
    SUroot likes this.
  12. Shockwave78

Shockwave78 Well-Known Member

Maxthon has been around for years, probably before Firefox was out. It was a direct IE replacement for PC and was basically meant to be a beefed up IE.

I remember using it back in like 2000-2001 or around that time. Never really liked it though. Who knows, it may be good on android though!
  13. Covart

Covart Well-Known Member

Might explain a few things. All I can say is, I love it on my S2 and tables.
  14. mihqke

mihqke Active Member

I have always used a stock browser. It's opening fast and speeds are not bad.
  15. liteon163

liteon163 Well-Known Member

Flash works just fine on Opera Mobile...

I used to use Skyfire on my AMOLED DROID Incredible, but I'm currently using Opera Mobile on my LG Spectrum. It works wonderfully.

When I get my SGS3, I'll try Chrome but I won't hesitate to go back to Opera if need be.
  16. Incognegro82

Incognegro82 Member

I alternate between dolphin browser hd and opera browser on my galaxy note.
  17. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Well-Known Member

Though I use stock ICS browser mostly and feel it sufficient for me, I always consider Dolphin HD as good backup browser on any android phone. It's light, smooth with plenty of settings and side bookmark, gesture features on Dolphin HD is the best.

Chrome is not bad. but it's pretty big on memory and not so different from stock browser IMO.
  18. davidian

davidian New Member

Tried many different browsers on my S3, but after trying out ICS Browser+ there was no turning back. Loving the quick controls.
    XplosiV and SUroot like this.
  19. medionpva

medionpva Well-Known Member

Is there a good browser that still uses flash, and that I can see real websites, not mobile ones?

Or can you adjust the standard one so it views real site, not mobile?
  20. davoid

davoid Well-Known Member

You can adjust the stock browser but only on a page-by-page basis. click menu button - second item from bottom is Desktop View.

Dolphin HD can be set to view all pages in desktop mode, and it uses flash.
  21. sherlock5545

sherlock5545 Well-Known Member

You can set Dolphin (both Mini and HD) to open pages in Desktop version. Just go on Settings > User Agent > Desktop.
  22. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy VIP Member

I use Boat Browser as my day-to-day browser. There is a lighter Boat Mini available, too.
  23. liteon163

liteon163 Well-Known Member

Opera Mobile can run Flash all the time, on demand, or never. I have mine set to always open Flash content.

It is also possible to have Opera Mobile display websites using mobile, desktop, or default agents. I have mine set to desktop and sites display almost exactly like they would render on my PC.
  24. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member

Actually at first glance (just installed) this does look like exactly what Im looking for.
    davidian likes this.
  25. davidian

davidian New Member

Glad I could help!