• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Browser Tracking, Cookies, and Etc (questions about)

knoober

Android Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2014
I have been aware of cookies since the days of WinXP and have always been dubious about how they arte used and why they exist. After a brief hiatus from technology, I have found the NextGen cookies to be even more intrusive and objectionable. I have always tried to view cookies and browser tracking in the same indulgent light as television commercials. Of course no one wants to watch them, but they provide valuable support to the stations you watch through the sponsor. Almost a neccesary evil. Television commercials are made even more palatable by the fact that you may simply change the channel, walk away, or otherwise ignore them. No such luck (it seems) with the newest litter of sponsor spawn. Browser Hijacking, hidden cookies, targeted marketing? Seems like the sponsors are trying to make me pay for all the times i flipped the channel away from their ads :) because these things are getting to be more attention hungry than good taste can account for.

Having said all that, I have a few questions if someone with the proper knowledge might be able to answer.

1) How is this stuff legal? Is there any relevant info I should make sure to look at, or is the standard Google search going to tell me all I need to know?

2) While I have a basic understanding of cookies, I have no idea how targeted ads or browser tracking works on a technical level. Can anyone shed any light on this?

3) I am aware that there are certain ad blocking apps for various platforms, but I wonder how well they actually work and have no technical knowledge with which to make an informed decision. Id be very welcoming of clues as to which apps are true blue, and which are boo-hoo :) Thanks again guys

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones