1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Browser Vunerable to take-over

Last Updated:

1. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

the biggest threat to security is the user. This is not news in that respect.

I find it curious that we don't expect the car to keep us from getting in an accident, we don't expect the air to keep the plane from crashing, and we don't expect nature to make sure our food is clean and sanitary -- why is it when it comes to internet, people accept zero responsibilities for how their own behavior puts their system in danger?

3. justjimjpc

Having been around a long time -- I have known and have actually written progams with backdoors ... so these many levels of code coming from various sub-providers can be a threat that no consumer can be aware of or protect themselves from .... similar to all the security flaws in MS and Outlook, etc.... so I take these warnings with a grain of salt and cross my fingers and hope not to be a victom ... not much else that most of us can do ..

4. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One... VIP Member

5. justjimjpc

Follow-up Links to more info .... dont get to alarmed ...

http://androidguys.com/?p=3679

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/02/12/browsing-on-andriod-isnt-as-dangerous-as-some-may-beileve/

6. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One... VIP Member

7. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

Okay, but what I meant was, you don't have to be aware of any vulnerabilities in order to surf safely. Just like you don't wander aimlessly into areas of town you're unfamiliar with, or are known to be shady - the same holds true for the internet. Odds are you're not going to run into security issues if you're reading CNN.com, if you stick to secure and trusted sites, you're not really going to run into issues. But if you click on a lot of popups, ads, download lots of random things from lots of random sites and follow links wherever they go without thinking -- yeah, you're going to put your system in danger one way or another, sooner or later. If you surf carefully, use the email spam filters, you don't actually need anti-virus software and security vulnerabilities will be a moot point.

With a lot of hackers and virus/malware attacking security first, all it takes is a user downloading the wrong software or clicking the wrong link. If you stick to trusted sources and don't bother with anything that looks like it might be sketchy, no one will have the opportunity to exploit security flaws.