• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Browser zoom broken

This is the one thing that really infuriates me when using the browser on my phone:

Summary of problem:
- I need to zoom into a particular part of interest on a web page.
- I touch 2 fingers on the screen and move apart until I am looking at the piece I want.
- I let go and the phone decides to wrap all the text to the width of the screen, causing the layout to change and (depending on the web page) I am left zoomed in to a completely different part of the page!!! I hate this "feature" so much! It makes using the net such a chore.

To top it all off, from what I have read this was introduced by HTC as part of their sense ui!

This thread suggests a temporary fix.

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-sup...-browser-different-pinch-zoom-behavior-2.html

Browse to about:config to put the browser in debug mode.
Goto menu -> settings -> more -> enable gep zoom.

This fixes the problem, but only until the next time you restart the browser!

Does anyone know if there are any updates in the pipeline to allow this "feature" to be turned off permanently?

Or can anyone suggest a better manual fix than the one above?

Thanks

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones