browsing the internet over a wireless networkGeneral

Last Updated:

1. woodsb123

woodsb123 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm having an issue with using my Eris while connected to my home wifi network. The problem is that after I successfully connect to my network, I am unable to browse the internet, access the Market, or use any music apps which require internet access. I have verified that my phone is capable of doing all of this while connected to an unsecured wifi network, however, my network is secured. I'm not sure if that's what the issue is.

A little bit of info about my home network - I have a Motorola SBG900 cable modem w/built-in wireless access. I have it setup for b/g network, WPA/PSK, etc. The strange thing about this is that I have two laptops, & my iPad setup on the same wireless network and all of them are able to access the network with no issues. Please help.....

PS: I believe that I have had it working before, but, not sure what I did to get it working.

Advertisement
  2. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I had trouble with mine as well when my network was set to WPA. After I set it to WEP it started working perfectly.

3. woodsb123

Thanks for the response OfTheDamned, that's what I was thinking. I had it setup that way before but changed it to WPA due to my iPad having issues with the WEP settings and also hearing before that the WPA setting was more secure. I will give that a shot and see what happens, thanks.

4. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

I use WPA with AES encryption, and mine works fine.

Are you using WPA or WPA2?

And what encryption are you using? AES or TKIP?

5. woodsb123

Demache, I'm currently using WPA-AES. I'm going to try changing it to WEP to see if that makes a difference before messing around with the WPA side of things.

6. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

There are implementation differences between different WiFi routers and clients that make them misbehave in strange and unexpected ways - even if you have them set up "correctly"

I came across an older Linksys router (set up with WPA) that would allow the Eris (on 1.5, iirc) to successfully authenticate, get an IP address via DHCP - and then not be able to communicate at all. Flashing the router with new firmware solved the problem, even though all the settings were restored to the same value after the (router firmware) update.

What was really strange about this example is that DHCP can not work if the WPA encryption is not working - so even though the Eris was "set up correctly", and the WiFi WPA encryption was working, it still couldn't communicate via the router.

That might not be the right fix for you (and probably isn't) - but it illustrates the point: you have a configuration where you have WiFi software from multiple vendors - some combinations work, and some don't. Unfortunately, that is rather typical with mix-n-match with WiFi gear. It's not supposed to be that way, but it happens more frequently than it should.

What I would do is to try and simplify your router configuration one little tweak at a time: for instance: change the b/g to "g only", and see if that helps.

I can't say I would advise you to use WEP, though - WEP is horribly insecure at this point (the passphrase can be recovered from a WEP router in about 4 minutes these days using an active attack).

You might find that if you simplify the router's configuration somewhat, the client (your Eris) will start working correctly. This usually happens because there is a bug triggered only when the router does something the Eris doesn't completely understand - so the simpler the "behavior" of the router, the less likely it is to trigger the bug.

I realize this suggestion is vague - but take a look at how your router is set up, and ask yourself: is it set up to do things (engage in unique behaviors) that I'm not using or don't really need? Is there any sort of things that can be simplified without altering the basic setup of the router?

Good Luck

eu1