• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Brushed Aluminum Skinomi for D3

arparaspolo

Android Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2010
Covina, CA
www.youtube.com
Skinomi TechSkin - Motorola Droid 3 Brushed Aluminum Skin Protector

I purchased this about a week ago. I got it last night. It was pretty simple to install. It came on two sheets. One with the screen protector and one with the skin. It also came with intstructions, application solution and a hard plastic thing to smooth out the screen protector and get any excess liquid and bubbles out.

After determining what goes where, I started applying. Did the batter door first as that was the biggest piece and would give me a feel of how to apply. I wish I would have done this in better lighting because all my pieces aren't all straight. But whatever. It has a total of 10 pieces. Everything went on pretty smoothly. The only area that doesn't fit perfectly is the bottom corners of the sides of the screen. Because the side goes down and into a corner but when it comes out at the bottom it is angled. The Skinomi should be slit at that point because it creates a pinch at the angle which sticks up a bit. Easily ignored though. All of this is applied WITHOUT the solution.

I would also like to mention that I have the Motorola extended battery and back. The skin almost fits that. There is a little bit of space because of this. Not a problem.

Now on to screen. I first put it on without first spraying it with solution. It went on fine but looked horrible. I was pissed off. After trying to smooth it out with the little credit card squeegee thing with no luck I was ready to email them nastily. Then I realized my error. I then removed the screen protector and sprayed the underside with solution. More than needed because I now had to clean it(just sprayed it and rubbed it with my fingers) I then shook it free of excess solution and applied. It went on great. There was a bit of debris under but that was my fault. This morning I again, took the screen protector off and cleaned it and reapplied. Again, it looks good. I have used Zagg before on my DARE way back when and the screen was a bit sticky to use, my fingers wouldn't glide over it. This screen is great. Almost as if it weren't there.

I called and told them about the corners of my screen being pinched and they are shipping me a completely new kit. Free of all charges. That is pretty awesome! Which wasn't my reason for telling them. I wanted to let them know that the design needs to be altered just a tad for it to be perfect.

As far as quality goes, the skin actually feels brushed. There are brush marks going down the entire skin. This feels great. The benefit of having a case without the bulk. It does make it a bit more slippery though so be careful.

The only thing I can think of that I would like to see is a circle cut out of the battery door so the Motorola logo can be seen.

$19.99 for this is a great deal. And if you use the code "skinomi25" or "get25" you get 25% off.

I will try to take pictures and post them. So far, I am loving it. Only time will tell how all of the corners on the pieces will hold up. BUT there is a lifetime warranty(only pay shipping) when you order from their website. Can't beat that.

I have a Skinomi on my HTC Eris that I applied in December 2009 - so, just over two years ago. I agree that it has a better "feel" than Zaggs, but there is an issue - the Skinomi has clouded up quite a bit, and it was noticeable about a year or so after I applied it. Just FYI. I stil have the product on, and the phone is quite visible (though the Eris display is not great in light even without a skin). It's quite possible, of course, that today's products are better.

Upvote 0
But this won't protect your phone when it falls. Otterbox all the way here!

That is why I don't drop it. ;) I don't like the added thickness that cases give. Regardless of how thin. That is why I chose Skinomi. I hope that it will last as long as "doogald's" does. And even if it doesn't, I have a lifetime warranty. And it was cheap enough that I can just discard it as well.

Upvote 0
I see 0 point to skins on the D3 when the docks have removable inserts to work with cases. Unless you are a person who hates the extra bulk I guess... personally I'd rather have the Qmadix case that will protect my phone when I eventually do drop it (everyone will drop their phone at some point), will fit in the OEM docks and comes with a nifty holster.

With that said, yes the Skinomi screen protectors are pretty boss. I have a zagg on an OG Droid that my wife used to use and omfg that thing is a piece of chit. It fits well but it is sticky to use whereas the Skinomi feels like it isn't even there and is way better than the garbage dry apply protectors that scratch in 2 seconds.

Upvote 0
I see 0 point to skins on the D3 when the docks have removable inserts to work with cases. Unless you are a person who hates the extra bulk I guess... personally I'd rather have the Qmadix case that will protect my phone when I eventually do drop it (everyone will drop their phone at some point), will fit in the OEM docks and comes with a nifty holster.

With that said, yes the Skinomi screen protectors are pretty boss. I have a zagg on an OG Droid that my wife used to use and omfg that thing is a piece of chit. It fits well but it is sticky to use whereas the Skinomi feels like it isn't even there and is way better than the garbage dry apply protectors that scratch in 2 seconds.

Lol I am one of those people. I can't stand the added bulk. It'd be nice if the phones all had interchangeable face side and back plates. That'd be nice. That way you can change the color on the fly.

Upvote 0
Lol I am one of those people. I can't stand the added bulk. It'd be nice if the phones all had interchangeable face side and back plates. That'd be nice. That way you can change the color on the fly.

Yeah I know some ppl just hate the added bulk but especially if you don't have insurance or have to pay an $80 deductible or some such, I just can't see not having a case. 1 good drop=$80 flushed down the drain.

Lol, you would HATE how my old Epic 4G with a Seidio ActiveX was. That thing was an effing brick but I once dropped it 10ft off a B-5 stand onto concrete and absolutely 0 damage as it impacted on the rubber housing. It paid for itself tenfold that day and is one of the reasons I will never EVER use a naked phone.

Upvote 0
I have the added bulk as well and am actually a big supporter of Zagg. I like how the Invisible Shields have some stickiness to them because it makes the phone so much easier to grip. When I got my replacement, I couldn't keep it in my hands because of how slippery the phone was without the skin. I felt my friend's Ghost Armor skin and it was plastic-y and if your hands were the least bit sweaty/damp/etc. it would be very slick. For the stock car dock, I grabbed some needle files and just shaved a thing layer off the insert so that my phone would fit better with the Invisible Shield on it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones