brwneyegrl46 - New Android owners

Last Updated:

1. brwneyegrl46

brwneyegrl46 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello. My husband and I are new to all this. We are looking to switch to Verizon and are looking at the Droid Incredible and the Samsung Fascinate. We would like to be able to use our phones, with their unlimited data, to provide internet for our computers. What are the steps to do this, should we decide to make the switch? Obviously the idea of spending $30 each for unlimited data PLUS access to make our phones a hotspot is not appealing. Any/all help will be greatly appreciated, as we wouldn't want to damage the phones.

Advertisement
  2. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Welcome to the Android Forums!

I moved your post into it's own thread so others can more easily find and respond to you.

The Verizon wireless hotspot feature basically makes your phones into portable wireless access points. Any computers that have WiFi capabilities can connect to the phone and access the Internet through the phone. If you choose to enable the feature you would set up a SSID which is a unique identifier to differentiate your phones wireless service from anyone elses. You should then enable some kind of security to insure that everyone could not access the wireless hotspot on your phone.

Keep one thing in mind, however, Verizon may say that data is unlimited but it's really not. I think their unofficial limit before keeping tabs on your data access is somewhere around 5 GB of data per month.

brwneyegrl46 likes this.
  3. brwneyegrl46

brwneyegrl46 New Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you. My husband and I each have a computer, and both plan to get a data plan, so the 5G per person would be more than adequate. How would we go about rooting the phones so that we could use their data plans as internet access without paying for extra tethering? I've heard of the possibility of bricking the phone-does this happen often? I have to assume not since so many people are able to root their phones. We just want to make sure it is done right. Thanks!

4. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

The process of rooting your two phones may be somewhat different for each phone. The best source for specific information on attaining root access will be the "All things Root" forum for each of your two phones.

Fascinate - All Things Root - Android Forums
    Incredible - All Things Root - Android Forums

In each of these forums you'll find a stickied guide that will provide links to resources that can assist you in rooting your phones.

http://androidforums.com/fascinate-...-2-november-2010-6-45am-central-u-s-time.html
    http://androidforums.com/incredible...root-guide-updated-4-15-est-oct-1-2010-a.html

You should also be able to search for specifics on setting up a wireless tether on your phones. I did a quick search in the Incredible "All things Root" forum and found the following...

http://androidforums.com/incredible...ngs-wireless-tethering-rooted-incredible.html

Keep in mind that Rooting and modifying the kernal is not something supported by Verizon. While it's unlikely that you'll brick the phone, this is still a possibility. And Verizon views this as a violation of the products warranty so they won't typically replace modified phones. If you have an issue with a phone and are wanting to replace it under a warranty program, it's recommended to remove root access and any apps like tethering before returning the phone to Verizon.