• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

BTWifiUnlocker or similar to unlock phone at home

Pinmac1

Android Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2011
UK
I've been using BTWifiunlocker for the last couple of years to keep my phone unlocked when connected to trusted Wifi networks or BT devices - home, work, car etc. This week I wiped my Galaxy Note 3 and rebuilt it. When I went to download the app again it said that it was not compatible with my phone. I had backed up the app and went to reinstall it but it wouldn't work (it's an apz file and not an apk?) I have emailed the developer but haven't heard anything.

I have tried using Tasker but haven't been able to get anything to work successfully. I am currently using Smart Lock which is built in to the phone but it still makes me swipe now and then. Does anyone know of an app which reliably keeps the phone unlocked when connected to known Wifi networks and/or BT devices?

Thanks for any help.

I used App Backup and Restore and then copied the file to my Dropbox. It won't let me change the file extension unfortunately.

Have you tried using AB&R to reinstall the backed-up app? You could also try using a file manager (I like Solid Explorer but just about any will do) to change the file's extension and then execute the .apk.

Doesn't the Tasker solution require a plug-in and a root-ed device?

(I'm not root-ed and have never tried it.)

... Thom

I haven't tried it on 5.x. I had a really sweet profile that I used on 4.4 to do the Smart Lock stuff before Smart Lock was a thing, but haven't had a need for it since updating to Lollipop. I do know that I used root + the Secure Settings plugin (with the System+ module installed) to pull it off.

Again, I don't know if/how that has changed since Lollipop.

Reactions: Pinmac1 and Thom
Upvote 0
Yes, I am using a profile which includes the Secure Settings plugin but I'm not rooted. I've seen the profile in various places and no-one has mentioned needing to be rooted. I did get the profile working OK this afternoon which was great. I added 2 other routers to the profile as I want to be unlocked at work etc and it stopped working so I took them back out and put the profile back to how it was. Annoyingly, it's not working again.

I did try renaming the apz file to apk but when I download it there's a parsing error.

Reactions: Thom and codesplice
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones