Bugless Beast Kernals

Last Updated:

1. brettlewis

brettlewis Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

On the latest bugless beast (2.1) there a two different kernel options, but I don't really know the difference between them...

what is the diff between:
    -ChevyNo1
    -AdamZ

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. bose301s

bose301s Well-Known Member

Personally I think Chevy's kernels just work better, they have worked great for me. I also like having 10 slots vs the 5 that AdamZ usually uses.

3. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

AdamZ's kernels also have selectable voltage settings - Low, Medium, and High, meaning you actually have like 21 different kernels to choose from....

4. brettlewis

interesting...

when i tried to download it, the link didnt seem to exist. can you link it for me?

5. johnlgalt

6. brettlewis

7. johnlgalt

That is a 'zipped tarball' - meaning you do the following, in order, no skipping steps:

1. Copy file to root of your SDCard (It has to be named either {name}.rom.tar or {name}.rom.tgz)
    2. Reboot into recovery
    3. --> Install
    4. --> Select ROM
    5. Select it
    6. It will start by making a Nandroid backup
    7. It then asks you to select voltage type - Low Voltage, Medium Voltage, High Voltage. Pick one (remember, Adam said start with lowest first)
    8. Then you pick which kernel you want from the list presented.
    9. Then it installs, and you reboot.

Word of advice - if you already have SetCPU installed and have set up profiles for the default kernel, change it so that it is either disabled on boot, or else (better way) change all max settings to 550 / 600 before you start to play with these kernels, and if you don't like a kernel that you install, after changing SetCPU back to your preference, change SetCPU back as I just mentioned each and every time before flashing to a new kernel.

Yes, this is a lot of work - but it is a lot easier than downloading one boot.img file, booting into recovery, updating, testing, dismissing it, then having to repeat that entire cycle.

This way, you have all kernels accessible to you at any given moment.

HTH

Knitewulf and brettlewis like this.
  8. gotwillk

gotwillk Well-Known Member

so what would happen if you didn't do all that stuff with setcpu before changing kernels?

9. johnlgalt

You may fore it into a boot loop if you have a value selected that is not available in the next kernel that you flash to - b/c if it is not available it usually bumps the slider back all the way down to minimum value (250?) and several people were complaining about boot loops after this until it was figured out that this may be the root cause of the boot loops for people rapidly trying kernel after kernel from the set.

gotwillk likes this.
  10. gotwillk

gotwillk Well-Known Member

ah interesting. i never had that problem myself though. just wondering what would happen like would it damage the cpu or something or make it worse somehow, as in setcpu not working properly. thanks for the info!

11. johnlgalt

Nah, since the actual setting you may have selected will not be in another kernel, it defaults to the min value - but it is extremely frustrating to try to fix once it starts happening....

Also, this is no a definite occurrence - but with the possibility of it occurring at all makes me take the extra steps to avoid any situations like that from happening.

As you can guess, from reading my last several posts (in the Koush thread), I play a lot with these ROMs, so I am already likely enough to b0rk something - comes from my years of beta testing I suppose. Anyhoo, the last thing I need is a head scratcher - I hate those.

12. brettlewis

thanks! :D

so far, so good.

13. brettlewis

I just set it to droid setting before doing that. worked fine that way.

Im currently using low voltage. what if I were to change voltages, would there be a difference?

I do need better battery performance however, so im assuming low voltage is good for me.

14. johnlgalt

you'll get slightly better CPU performance while sacrificing battery - but I can't say anything about how the two are related, and it also depends upon your personal battery usage per day.

I can say that none of those 1200 / 1300 kernels worked for me, and since ChevyNo1's 10-slot 1200 MHz did I stuck with that throughout my testing of the UD6.x series, and then afterward when I upgrade to UD7.0.

however, a lot of people had much better results than I did with AdamZ's kernel, so YMMV.

15. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

I just flashed to BB .8 tonight. Does this contain a block to keep this from updating when the official Rom comes out? Or is there something I need to do?

16. johnlgalt

It does. Almost every alternate ROM out there that I have seen based upon 2.1 builds have that block in place.

17. bose301s

bose301s Well-Known Member

This may be true but I found Chevy's 1GHz kernel to run just as well and just as cool if not cooler than AdamZ's 1GHz Low Voltage kernel, I also like having 10 slots in SetCPU.

18. johnlgalt

Lmfao - yeah, I thought I said that earlier, but I may be remembering another thread.

I had nothing but issues with AdamZ's LV and MV 1200 and 1300 kernels, but ChevyNo1's 10-slot 1200 MHz kernel runs so stable it's as if I am running the stock kernel.

But I encourage others to at least try the AdamZ kernels instead of writing them off just b/c you and I found more success with Chevy's kernel. As has been proven many a times in here and elsewhere, every DROID does not react the same to the same stressors, and reacts differently, as well, to the same kernel.

19. Barkleyfan

Barkleyfan Well-Known Member

In recovery, if you have to choose to allow update.zip before you can run update.zip, you're protected.

20. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

Roger that. Thanx!

21. brettlewis

Im on a new phone now and cant get it to work anymore...

keeps saying "E: No tar archives found"

I have tried all the names possible. whats the deal? ha