Bugless Beast message notification

Last Updated:

1. Shadowtech

Shadowtech Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just recently rooted my phone and installed Bugless Beast 0.7.4 via nandroid backup. While everything is running smooth.. I have run into a little quirk which I can't figure out so was hoping someone might be able to help.

I installed Handcent, and everything is working fine, however I get an additional message notification I can't get rid of until I hit clear. It appeared with chompsms as well and I have no idea what is bringing it up. I turned off all notifications in the stock messaging app but it won't get rid of this.

The exact notification is "New Message(s): You have # unread messages". When I click on it it brings up my default messaging client. However it will not go away after I read the message, until I manually hit clear.

Does anyone know what is causing this? I have checked all my settings and I am pretty sure that only Handcent is enabled.. but I guess I could be overlooking something.

Advertisement
  2. jasonb1985

jasonb1985 Well-Known Member

it's not the bugless beasts fault. i and many others had this problem on non rooted phones. it's an issue between the stock messaging app and handcent. there is a setting that needs to be changed, but i can't remember which setting it is.

i do have the bugless beast and i do use handcent without issues.

3. Shadowtech

The reason I mentioned Beast is because I know stuff gets tweaked in these custom ROMs so ya never know. I was just curious if anyone had this happen and knows what causes it. It even stays in my bar to inform me I have 0 new messages.

I ran Handcent on my stock phone for over a month without any issue, and it was just since I rooted that it appeared.. which is why I asked if it had something to do with Beast. And as I stated, it's not just Handcent.. Chomp does it as well.

4. jasonb1985

when i first installed handcent on a non rooted phone i had the same problem. took me a bit to figure out, but i got it to work. i didn't have to do anything to get it to work when i rooted, it worked just as it did before.

5. slosh

slosh Well-Known Member

Disable the stock messaging notifications...go to messaging>menu>settings>notifications uncheck this.

6. Shadowtech

Stock messaging is already disabled.. I have every option in it's settings unchecked. I've toggled them, rebooted, repeated, still getting this ghost notification.

I guess I'll just redo the rom or something later and see if it's still there, as I said it's just a minor nuisance.

7. jasonb1985

uninstall and then reinstall handcent. i think that's what i did to get it to finally work.

8. Shadowtech

Ok.. at this point I just feel like I'm beating my head against a wall... it is NOT a Handcent issue. I do not even have Handcent installed anymore and the notification still appears. It is not part of the stock messaging app either as that also gives a separate one.

It has to be something in Beast 0.7.4. I have no idea what, but it's not related to any of the settings I can find, and I've spent hours looking. Maybe it's the G1 messaging client he installed.. but it has no settings I can find for notifications.

9. Offconrad

Offconrad New Member

I had the exact same problem and it was caused by my Beautiful Widgets SMS notifications. I disable them and all was cured. If you have any similar widgets running, you'll get double notifications.

10. Shadowtech

Ah didn't even think about that widget causing the problem.. forgot it even had a notification option. Disabled it and it appeared to have fixed my problem.

Thank you.

11. Offconrad

Offconrad New Member

No problem, glad I could help.