• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bugless Beast V0.1 FRF57

It's here.....Peter Alfonso

And here....FRF57V01.zip (Credit to dreadnatty08)

'bout frikkin time! lol.

I've been sitting here clicking refresh on his page since yesterday. Step away from the computer for a few hours and come back to find out I could've had it four hours ago. Jeez. Anyone have a tall bridge near their house I can use for a few seconds?

Upvote 0
This worked for me sucked ass because editing the xml file took a bit of time to make sure i got it. but this is what I did.

Installed via CW:(credit-mrZoSo)
Using Root Explorer I did a search for maps
I deleted:
/data/app/com.google.android.apps.maps-1.apk
/data/data/com.google.android.apps.maps

If you see it in /system/app/Maps.apk, move it out to your sdcard

Rebooted phone
Installed Maps using the apk just moved to sdcard
I ran maps and played in it for a minute, joined Latitude also from within Maps, just to make sure it worked and closed it.
Then went in to Settings>Applications>Manage applications>All, tap on Maps, tap Clear data, tap Uninstall
Went to Market and re-installed from there.

I did notice that after it installed through Market, Maps.apk does not show in /system/app or anywhere else, the only apk showing is /data/app/com.google.android.apps.maps-1.apk

Hope this helps, might have to do it a couple times, not sure. Seems to me the maps that is installed in the Froyo ROM is scrambled a little? for lack of better words, who knows,,,heh

Installed via SP:(credit-tanked)
Now after my install of Froyo: Maps wasn't accessible, I couldn't install it from the market, and wasn't in the Settings->Applications->Manage applications menu.
Once you mount your device with read-write access (with the adb) and give adb root privileges (once again, with the adb), you must edit the /data/system/packages.xml file. There is an entry that looks something like:
Code:
<shared-user name="com.google.android.apps.maps" userId="10028">
<sigs count="1">
<cert index="13" />
</sigs>
<perms>
<item name="com.android.launcher.permission.INSTALL_SHORTCUT" />
<item name="android.permission.USE_CREDENTIALS" />
<item name="android.permission.GET_TASKS" />
<item name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" />
<item name="android.permission.ACCESS_WIFI_STATE" />
<item name="android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION" />
<item name="android.permission.GET_ACCOUNTS" />
<item name="android.permission.READ_CONTACTS" />
<item name="android.permission.CALL_PHONE" />
<item name="com.google.android.apps.maps.permission.PUSH_MESSAGE" />
<item name="android.permission.WRITE_CONTACTS" />
<item name="com.google.android.googleapps.permission.GOOGLE_AUTH" />
<item name="com.google.android.providers.gsf.permission.READ_GSERVICES" />
<item name="android.permission.DISABLE_KEYGUARD" />
<item name="android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE" />
<item name="com.google.android.googleapps.permission.GOOGLE_AUTH.local" />
<item name="android.permission.INTERNET" />
<item name="android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION" />
<item name="android.permission.MANAGE_ACCOUNTS" />
<item name="android.permission.VIBRATE" />
<item name="android.permission.RECORD_AUDIO" />
<item name="android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE" />
<item name="android.permission.WAKE_LOCK" />
</perms>
</shared-user>
Remove this entry. Put the packages.xml file back on to your Droid and then restart. Then you should be able to install Maps from the market.

Here is rough step by step guide
Note: I am using a linux machine, hence no .exe after 'adb'. The commands should be very similar in Windows.
Code:
adb remount
adb root
adb shell rm /data/app/Maps.apk
adb pull /data/system/packages.xml packages.xml
(now edit packages.xml with your favorite text editor and remove the maps entry)
adb push packages.xml /data/system/packages.xml
adb reboot
Just remember that the packages.xml file will end up in whatever folder you are executing the adb command from.

couple of notes mine (maps) did not show up in root explorer in the same directory. I deleted what what was show then moved to the 2nd step which was the xml file. That worked like a charm once I edited out pushed it back to the phone and rebooted I was able to download maps sucessfully.

Upvote 0
Everything went well using sprecovery except setcpu says no root detected but I have it. Not a big deal and my bootanimation loaded flawlessly. Also Bettercut didn't work but haven't tried other home replacements. No problem with maps or chrome2phone through Firefox. Wifi and 3g all worked great and so did wifi tethering. Just trying to give feedback.

Now if someone can show me how to get a black notification bar that would be great.

Also has anyone tried to change the font manually with rootexplorer?

forgot to say a big thank you to the devs and the helpful people on the forum.

Upvote 0
I started to get laggy with nexfro. Just download this and so far seems to be snappier.
Great to hear that BBeast is onboard w/ 2.2. I'm gonna wait for Fab to optimize it, as his current incarnation of NexFro is terrific. But I can only imagine how awesome this is. Anyone who's moving from NexFro to this ROM care to share the compare? Yes, I really did just want to rhyme.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
This worked for me sucked ass because editing the xml file took a bit of time to make sure i got it. but this is what I did.

Installed via SP:(credit-tanked)
Now after my install of Froyo: Maps wasn't accessible, I couldn't install it from the market, and wasn't in the Settings->Applications->Manage applications menu.
Once you mount your device with read-write access (with the adb) and give adb root privileges (once again, with the adb), you must edit the /data/system/packages.xml file. There is an entry that looks something like:
Code:
<shared-user name="com.google.android.apps.maps" userId="10028">
<sigs count="1">
<cert index="13" />
</sigs>
<perms>
<item name="com.android.launcher.permission.INSTALL_SHORTCUT" />
<item name="android.permission.USE_CREDENTIALS" />
<item name="android.permission.GET_TASKS" />
<item name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" />
<item name="android.permission.ACCESS_WIFI_STATE" />
<item name="android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION" />
<item name="android.permission.GET_ACCOUNTS" />
<item name="android.permission.READ_CONTACTS" />
<item name="android.permission.CALL_PHONE" />
<item name="com.google.android.apps.maps.permission.PUSH_MESSAGE" />
<item name="android.permission.WRITE_CONTACTS" />
<item name="com.google.android.googleapps.permission.GOOGLE_AUTH" />
<item name="com.google.android.providers.gsf.permission.READ_GSERVICES" />
<item name="android.permission.DISABLE_KEYGUARD" />
<item name="android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE" />
<item name="com.google.android.googleapps.permission.GOOGLE_AUTH.local" />
<item name="android.permission.INTERNET" />
<item name="android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION" />
<item name="android.permission.MANAGE_ACCOUNTS" />
<item name="android.permission.VIBRATE" />
<item name="android.permission.RECORD_AUDIO" />
<item name="android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE" />
<item name="android.permission.WAKE_LOCK" />
</perms>
</shared-user>
Remove this entry. Put the packages.xml file back on to your Droid and then restart. Then you should be able to install Maps from the market.

Here is rough step by step guide
Note: I am using a linux machine, hence no .exe after 'adb'. The commands should be very similar in Windows.
Code:
adb remount
adb root
adb shell rm /data/app/Maps.apk
adb pull /data/system/packages.xml packages.xml
(now edit packages.xml with your favorite text editor and remove the maps entry)
adb push packages.xml /data/system/packages.xml
adb reboot
Just remember that the packages.xml file will end up in whatever folder you are executing the adb command from.

verified fix worked for me. thank you very much !!

Upvote 0
I agree with you, the one thing I don't understand though is how nexfro benchmarks so much higher but runs more laggy.... I think there is still a lot of tweaking to look forward to!

I think it's this...the JIT compiler needs memory. Pete is limiting it by setting 50mb free all the time.

So the memory never dips really low, and stuff runs snappy, but your benchmarks are going to suffer, because the JIT compiler can't work to it's full capabilities.

...I think.

IMO, benchmarks don't really matter. It's really how it feels to you that is important.

That being said, I haven't really gotten much lag in NexFro.

I also haven't tried this yet, because I just got home :D

Upvote 0
This worked for me sucked ass because editing the xml file took a bit of time to make sure i got it. but this is what I did.................

Thank you for posting macdaddybuff!

This is the type of thing that happens when you don't wipe data, cache and then format the boot, system, data, and cache partitions ;)

It probably took me as long if not longer to fix the problem with the maps than it would have to just do a clean install and set everything else back up. I really don't mind...kind of fun actually :eek: but....If you REALLY DON'T WANT TO....OR ARE UNABLE TO deal with issues like this, do yourself a favor and make sure you start with a clean slate before loading any ROM (even a good idea for ROM Updates from the same developer).

Reactions: magdelaine
Upvote 0
Just downloaded the .zip file. Using CWrecovery, do I unzip the file into the clockwork backup folder? I have installed a mod, but this one seems different. It unzips into two folders and a "boot" file, instead of a single folder from which I restore in recovery mode.

Don't unzip it. Use the "Install zip from SD card" option in recovery. It's not a nandroid backup.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones