• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bugs on JB2 (Android 1.6)

If you experience that phone gradually over time of being used, then you have checked in Settings under Security & Location -> Use wireless networks and Share with Google. So, uncheck them! ;)

p.s- I have the same issue before unchecking that options, now the OS flying!!!

I can confirm this. It's really makes a difference (for me at least).
This also appears to fix the "sleeping issue"!!
Yesterday my phone died after 12 hours of light use. With IK5 and the same settings it use to last about 60h (5x longer). After I disabled those options I'm at 98% after 6h (and I used it for 30min continuous).
Until samsung (or others) fix this I recommend everyone to use this workaround.

I have however another bug to report:
- after my phone died (empty battery) I plugged it in and started. It did not ask for my PIN, jumped directly to my home screen and of course I could not use the phone part as the SIM card was locked. I could not find any other way to make it work other then another reboot (and I tried a few things). Anyone else had this problem?

LE: I did an reboot after unchecking those settings (as mrqs says bellow)

Upvote 0
As a programmer, I'm quite tolerant of mistakes. They can and do happen to
the best of us. However, building a firmware for a phone is not like building a
generic operating system (think Windows) which has to run on millions of
combinations of hardware.

Samsung are building software (firmware) for a known hardware device, their
own to boot. They should really be able to do it properly.

That's exactly my point.
I'm not a programmer but i'm not a stranger to it either. I understand the fact that a few new bugs are inevitable as this is an new OS version. What I can't understand is how samsung could release an firmware with such an evident bug like the "sleeping issue" which affects almost everyone...shouldn't they have beta testers??? It's something very wrong here.
I officially HATE samsung. I had just enough of it and I'm starting saving money for an Nexus.

Upvote 0
Download the most recent version of Spare Parts from the market. Set Activity/Process Management to Aggresive. Seems to make the phone snappier.

I tried Aggressive but soon after I reverted back to Normal process management. Aggressive did make phone snappier for sure but I found out that I no longer could install .APK files. It would cycle through the same screen where I click Install, after which it goes black and comes back to the same Install screen. After reverting back to Normal profile APKs would install fine.

Upvote 0
I'm never buying a samsung phone again.

Today I got a new problem.. I Can not hear or be heard by anyone when I place a call. If someone saw this problem somewhere else please write a reply. I have tried re installing the firmwire and nothing.. seems a hardware issue.. as I said.. I'm never buying a samsung phone again!

Upvote 0
Let me summarize all thesefindings about the phone never sleeps bug:

- it happens for people with no applications installed, and with applications installed
- some people say: if you uninstall goggles, then reboot, it's gone for a while!
- some people say: if you disable wireless location, then reboot, it's gone for a while!
- if you change nothign at all and reboot, it's gone for a while!

So, we can conclude:

- it happens regardless of installed applications or settings
- A reboot fixes the problem, but it will come back
- the issue is not caused by an application, but by the samsung firmware

Upvote 0
Just adding my 2 cents to the debate on the cause of the no sleep issue.
I have found that I had the no sleep issue after some time, regardless off whether google location, or even wireless location was one.
And sometimes regardless of rebooting too.
One thing that seemed rather constant though, was that it appeared after charging, and since I only recently switched on the setting "stay awake" (that allows your phone to not sleep while it is charging) I have wondered if it was not a bug linked to it staying awake despite unplugging afterwards...
I have now switched off "stay awake", will tell you in a few days if I get the problem again.

That being said, I really like 1.6, when I am not having the no sleep issue, I am having the longest battery life I have ever had (48h with background data and auto-sync enabled, but no 3g).
And finally having that dialpad during call working correctly is heaven sent.

Upvote 0
Well, i doubt that it has something to do with the "stay awake" option.

I'am using the JB2 now since the release date and i tried almost everything to get rid of this sleeping issue. For me it seems that its kinda related to the Market / Package Installer. The Sleep Bug appears always as soon as i check the market or install an .apk via astro/adb.

Logcat is not really helpfull since there is nothing strange going on during the sleep bug. But i noticed an incrase of the load while the bug appears and its always the "system_server"

the tl:dr version: i still dont have a clue ;-)

Upvote 0
Well, i doubt that it has something to do with the "stay awake" option.

I'am using the JB2 now since the release date and i tried almost everything to get rid of this sleeping issue. For me it seems that its kinda related to the Market / Package Installer. The Sleep Bug appears always as soon as i check the market or install an .apk via astro/adb.

Logcat is not really helpfull since there is nothing strange going on during the sleep bug.

• But i noticed an incrase of the load while the bug appears and its always the "system_server"

Can you post output of logcat during bug?

Does this all mean there's no way you can work around this bug in JB2???

Upvote 0
Had this issue from the moment I upgraded my Galaxy but 3 days ago I un-checked google location & wireless location and it has been running ever since, which is the best battery use we have ever got from the fone. Almost a whole extra day!

However, from what you guys are saying I expect the issue will come back.

Another problem we have with 1.6 is that after a few days it became really really slow to use. Just brining up screens for messaging or browsing etc take ages. Does anyone else see this?

Upvote 0
Another problem we have with 1.6 is that after a few days it became really really slow to use. Just brining up screens for messaging or browsing etc take ages. Does anyone else see this?

it seems to come and go as erratically as the sleep issue for me

tho' always present in the new market - that thing is really buggy

Upvote 0
Can you post output of logcat during bug?

Does this all mean there's no way you can work around this bug in JB2???

As i said. There is nothing unusal in the logcat during the bug.

Just the standard virtual machine cleaning the ram.

I can only stop the sleep issue with rebooting. In the early state of hunting this bug, i thought it might be a problem with the 2G only option since my log was "flooded" with cell updates from the "NetworkLocationProvider" but it turned out that this wasnt the problem ;)

If i would have at least some strange error message in the log, but nada.. :-/

Upvote 0
As i said. There is nothing unusal in the logcat during the bug.

Just the standard virtual machine cleaning the ram.

I can only stop the sleep issue with rebooting. In the early state of hunting this bug, i thought it might be a problem with the 2G only option since my log was "flooded" with cell updates from the "NetworkLocationProvider" but it turned out that this wasnt the problem ;)

If i would have at least some strange error message in the log, but nada.. :-/

have you tried all the tips people are suggesting? unclicking this, unlcicking that....?

Upvote 0
I've been using 1.6 for nearly 10 days now. The following is what I've found:
1. I've had to shut down most "background" functions to maintain use through a normal day. It doesn't matter what changes I make, I still can't get it to last more than 12 or so hours.
2. Marketplace is annoying as whilst there's a download, everything slows to a stop.
3. Alarm and contact ringtones change by themselves as well as one ringtone being deleted 3 times off the sdcard by itself. weird! This REALLY bugs me as i've been using ringtones for different people for years now.
4. Wifi take a long time to connect. Veryy annoying.
5. Both Wifi and 3G reception are very weak. Much weaker than equivalent HTC's (WinMo6.1) and Sony Ericssons (Symbian).
6. Android use of only .ogg files for notifications and alerts is annoying. Most other o/s allow for mp3 and wav.
7. Have only tried GPS with IGO, and this is very slow going. I'll see if I can get a copy of copilot as I was using it successfully on HTC and can gauge response times in comparison.
8. On a positive, the syncing of gmail, calender and contacts is painless and quick. Given Androids Google origins, that should be the case.

Btw, GDE is great but conflicts with some std 1.6 as well as 3rd party applications, so BEWARE.(apologies as I posted this elsewhere by mistake)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones