Build Number Upgrade?!

Last Updated:

1. nicokey17

nicokey17 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello. I am new to this forum thing!

I see that a lot Hero owners have the 2.73 Build Number! Well my phone still says

Firmware Version - 1.5
    Build Number - 1.56.651.2 (and some more numbers)
    Software Version - 1.56.651.2

It seems to me as though I need an upgrade! I have looked through the forums to see how I can get to 2.73, but none of them gave a direct answer! If there is a post out there with this information, can someone be kind enough to post it here? Or just give me step by step directions on how I can get this?! I would greatly appreciate it!

Other Information - I tried going to the HTC site for an upgrade, but it doesn't show anything there, only for Sync upgrades. Thank you in advance! :):):)

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

2.73.xxx.xx is the latest GSM build. You have a CDMA (Sprint) handset I believe, as 1.56.651.x appears to be the most recent revision for that device.

I'll move this into the Sprint Hero forum anyway, where someone with more direct knowledge will hopefully give you a definitive answer.

3. sparky7474

sparky7474 Well-Known Member

Your are correct, cdma phones (sprint phones) current version is 1.5 build

4. andy22

andy22 Well-Known Member

To be fair to people like OP, the development tree for each build is different, both GSM and CDMA, so the GSM number being higher does not mean better.

5. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Thanks for the clarification Sparky. Glad I didn't mislead the OP.

6. cmcfarland21

cmcfarland21 Active Member

I have
    Firmware Version - 1.5
    Build Number - 1.29.651.1
    Software Version - 1.29.651.1

How can I get 1.56.651.2

7. generide

generide Member

There was a manufacturers release of this software, which you can download directly over the air. Follow the instructions on this site:

Support - Article

Basically, just go to the over the air update, go to menu, settings, about phone, system updates and finally choose firmware update.

8. pwabbit

pwabbit Well-Known Member

Those with custom ROM's will have an entirely different build number. Mine is "Fresh ROM 1.1"

9. cmcfarland21

My phone was flashed to pageplus so directly over the air want work. I think I can download and install through PC.

10. cmcfarland21

Because my phone was flashed to pageplus will that be affected if I download and install the latest software? 1.56.651.2

11. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

I would think that since the latest update was for Sprint phones, that it would brick your Pageplus phone. Have you checked with pageplus to see if they have an update or if updating with the Sprint update will brick your phone?

12. cmcfarland21

It's still a Sprint HTC Hero. With build version 1.29.651.1
    Just using the pageplus network. Alot cheaper.

13. generide

generide Member

yes, I would say you need to contact PagePlus to see if they will support your hero with the sprint build 1.5 software. In theory, you should be able to update the build software to the newer version and then get the carrier - pageplus to help you with the settings for their network.

I think the upgrade from 1.2 to 1.5 offered the speaker and mute buttons on a call and some battery improvements plus the SMS fix (reason for battery issues)

14. cmcfarland21

I have firmware version 1.5 but software version 1.29.651.1

15. generide

generide Member

yes the latest software build is Sprint 1.56.651.2. That is the version that has the improvements I mentioned. AFAIK. Your Hero is at the onset version which sprint/HTC improved upon for many reasons but mostly due to short battery performance issues with the SMS app holding the phone on. This may not be an issue with your PagePlus usage but it was for the Sprint users.

All the custom ROMS out now run the 1.56 build because that is the latest to base the ROM upon.

So in final, what you are asking is for an update to your 1.29 build software, not an update for the firmware 1.5 Android OS.

16. cmcfarland21

Right, can I update my software build version from 1.29 to 1.56 without affecting my pageplus flash?

17. generide

generide Member

Ok call pageplus and ask them if they have a method for you to get an updated version of the software for your hero. Or if they don't, ask them if they can help you set the phone up for pageplus as the software update 1.56 is sprint only. That means it presets the modem settings for the sprint network.

Now, I don't know what type of network settings PagePlus has so I am not sure that it is that different. PP may be using Sprint anyways but there would be a specific modem dial code perhaps for the PP network. You will have to ask them.