• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Build your own Extended Life Battery

I got tired of the miserable battery life on my Triumph. Even with all the performance tweaks I usually have to (at least partially) charge my phone sometime in the middle of the day. I've been using an aftermarket 2000mAh battery from eBay which worked better than the stock for many months after I got it but it's performance has steadily declined recently. I don't like to carry extra batteries with me so I decided to make my own extended life battery.

I'm cheap and like to reuse so I didn't want to buy anything new. In my junk parts I had a bad Macbook battery with 2 bad cells out of the 6. Basically the laptop battery has 6 x 3.7V 3200mAh cells wired together. These batteries (6052103) can be bought new online or any 3.7V cell would work. The battery was a great size for my plan.

The idea was to attach the battery to my (heavily used :) plastic hard case and connect it to the phone. First, I took an old original Triumph battery removed the outer sticker and cut off the leads attaching the battery to the connector. Next, I soldered the battery leads to the Triumph battery connector with some wire. I wrapped everything with kapton tape (because I have some, but electrical tape would work) to protect it. The tape on the Triumph connector is also what holds it in place in the phone.

I cut a hole in my hard case just a little bigger than the battery which allows it to sit flush with the back of the phone. I used just enough hot glue to hold the battery onto the hard case. The piece cut out from the hard case was glued onto the back of the battery. Finally I used some black Sugru to cover the exposed edge around the battery on the outside of the case.

It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but that doesn't bother me. I care more about functionality. I don't have results on how long it will last yet but I will post back later with some details.

Attachments

• DSC_0668_1.JPG
    DSC_0668_1.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC_0670_1.JPG
    DSC_0670_1.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC_0951_1.JPG
    DSC_0951_1.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC_0664_1.JPG
    DSC_0664_1.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC_0950_1.JPG
    DSC_0950_1.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 127
Been using the battery since tuesday and so far so good. No charge needed all day. Still waiting on the battery stats to catch up. Every day when the % gets to around 60 it jumps back up to 75 :)
By bedtime its usually around 35-45%. Gunna let it go as low as it can over the weekend.

FYI, while at work (8 hours) I occationally use wifi but mostly 3g. There are dead zones I go into a lot (in the bottom of a large boat) so cell radio is prolly sucking juice there. At home I always have wifi on. I never have GPS on.

Upvote 0
The back is not the antenna, but the area below the battery cover and behind the rubber plug is where it is located. It's just a couple of traces on a plastic cover-like part. Should be easy enough to rig.

I sometimes think I get a slightly better signal in poor signal locations by holding the phone different so my hand is not covering that area... but I can't swear to it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones