• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bummer. Eris hitting end of life next month.

Wow, another great post, and it opposes that other great post. I'm serious; this is fascinating.

Thanks. I'm having fun, too. Participating in these threads earns me Troll Points™ that I can redeem for valuable prizes, like the new HTC Droid Eris (now with 2.1 ... any time now...). :rolleyes:

1.) as part of your list of things that are obsolete and theres better version of on the market, you left out wife and kids.

The problem with jettisoning my wife is that any new one would have to be trained up on things like the fact that if she finds the toilet seat in the wrong configuration, it can be adjusted to one that's more suitable in less time than it takes to start an argument about it. :D

2.) i don't know what eris you have, but its one of the worst PHONES ever ... only receives one or two calls before i can't hear anything when trying to make a call and have to reboot.
Mine doesn't seem to be any better or worse than anything I've had previously, although I've had three Motorolas, and their implementations of CDMA has never quite been up to snuff with Qualcomm's. My Eris passes more data (including VoIP) than voice, but it gets the job done. It's also the most compact Android phone that's available on Verizon.

The fact is that if you're running leaked firmware, you're running something that was never intended for use by the general public, and as you probably know, you're doing so at the risk of encountering STDW. (I do software and systems for a living; STDW is an industry insider's term meaning Shit That Don't Work.)

I was going to suggest that Verizon propagated the 2.1 leak because they knew it would cause a bunch of these silly threads about it at androidforums.com, resulting in an increase in Internet traffic and therefore a rise in what they could charge their customers. But the hosting center gets its transit from Level3, Global Crossing, Tiscali and GTT, so I guess that theory can go right out the window.

--Mark

Upvote 0
how long do you think you would have to wait after end of life began to get whatever phone will be replacing the eris should your eris fail during warranty or if u have insurance be damaged etc ?

I really don't wanna think that if i'm 1.5 years into my contract, and the eris NEVER gets a 2.1 update that if it fails or breaks that i'm gonna get sent some NOS or refurb unit.

My wife has a Moto Razr V3m that is almost 6 years old, she took it in when the screen crapped out (way after warranty period, but VZW still provided her a replacement free of charge. This was about 6 months ago. They even gave her a silver one at the store then shipped a pink one to the house for her. This phone was EOL'e years ago I am sure.

Not sure why people bash VZW for support, I love them. Tmobile made me extend my contract everytime I wanted to change my plan, Sprint told me that I needed to buy a new phone everytime I dropped a call or didnt have signal. I fell for this once and wasted my money as they then said that I bought the wrong phone, one that has known problems with signal reception but for another $200 I could get another new phone that doesnt have problems. Never had ATT but never heard good things about them.

VZW has always been great, replacement phones even after warranty for cheaper phones, I probably went through 4 Razr, then 2-3 Dare's before I got the Eris. I am confident that they will take care of me if I ever have an Eris problem too. No the sales people making up B.S. to try and appease concerns and question is another things all together, but thats not VZW, that sales people they are conditioned to make people feel comfortable and want to buy their product. Support is another matter entirely, the problem is separating support from sales as they commonly overlap especially in places like a VZW store.

Upvote 0
Some of you asked why the Eris is obsolete, well ill tell you why.......because its RIDICULOUSLY sloooooow. The lag it produces is frustrating. The keyboard is so slow, music player is so slow, web broswing is slow, its just a very slow phone right from the beginning due to obsolete CPU chipset.

It's like going to a store and buying a 10 year old laptop. It's the exact same situation with the Eris.

Further more the CPU chipset is so obsolete that you get the worst of the worst in performance and battery life. With the eris you get horrid performance AND horrid battery life. This is due to the obsolete 90nm process the cpu chipset is Mfred on.

I disagree - you are missing the point of system architecture. Look at Mac, they charge a premium for Core2Duo machines that outperform PC based machines with "faster" processors. This is definatley old technology and very out of date, but the Apple machines utilize it differently. There is a lot more than CPU to these systems that contribute to speed and performance. Consumer price is also to be considered. I paid less for the Eris knowing it had a slower processor, but I liked the feel of it better than the Droid and I saved $100. I am fine with that trade off.

Upvote 0
I disagree - you are missing the point of system architecture. Look at Mac, they charge a premium for Core2Duo machines that outperform PC based machines with "faster" processors. This is definatley old technology and very out of date, but the Apple machines utilize it differently. There is a lot more than CPU to these systems that contribute to speed and performance. Consumer price is also to be considered. I paid less for the Eris knowing it had a slower processor, but I liked the feel of it better than the Droid and I saved $100. I am fine with that trade off.

Exactly. The normal user (and even some geeks) don't care about the speed or architecture of their phone/computer. They want looks.

Upvote 0
Actually it really is like buying a 10 year old laptop. The snapdragon based chipset is 4 to 5 times faster than the chipset in the Eris. We have gone over this 100 times. Yes, 4 to 5 times faster.

I love it how people try to justify the reasoning behind the horrid performance and battery life of the Eris.

There is only ONE reason the Eris was developed with the hardware it has which was to dump excess obsolete stock of old SOC chips.

Fact of the matter is the Eris cant even run many apps in the market due to poor CPU, the GPS nav software in 2.1 is HORRIDLY slow on the Eris. It so slow its almost unusable and frustrating.

I sold my Eris for $250 and am very lucky I got that much. Luckily the person bought it from me didnt know anything about phones.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
I am kind of miffed with Verizon over this. My phone is only 4 months old and its EOL.

http://www.berryscoop.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/eris-tour-eol.png

Makes me wonder if the 2.1 OTA is actually going to come or V just said heck with it.

The 2.1 update is coming.

Seriously. If the phone works out for you, then be happy. You must be a tech newbie cause guess what? There is something always better coming down the pipeline, so get used to it so you will lead a much happier existence.

I love my Eris. I have rolling upgrades just about every 4 months so I can upgrade just about any time. Wanna know something? When the Incredible drops, I am keeping my Eris.

Seriously, did this merit a post? Apparently you are misinformed and maybe, just maybe, you did not get enough hugs growing up. Don't worry, I'll give you a huge man-love hug if you promise never to post something like this ever again.

Upvote 0
Actually it really is like buying a 10 year old laptop. The snapdragon based chipset is 4 to 5 times faster than the chipset in the Eris. We have gone over this 100 times. Yes, 4 to 5 times faster.

I love it how people try to justify the reasoning behind the horrid performance and battery life of the Eris.

There is only ONE reason the Eris was developed with the hardware it has which was to dump excess obsolete stock of old SOC chips.

Fact of the matter is the Eris cant even run many apps in the market due to poor CPU, the GPS nav software in 2.1 is HORRIDLY slow on the Eris. It so slow its almost unusable and frustrating.

I sold my Eris for $250 and am very lucky I got that much. Luckily the person bought it from me didnt know anything about phones.

Smoke crack often?

To be grammatically correct, it is 'horribly slow' not 'horridly' slow.

The Eris is an entry level Android phone. It is actually just fine for most of the things you complain about. It does lag sometimes, but guess what? All devices do. Is that 4 nanoseconds you were robbed really that important?

I swear to god, there are so many self important tech noobs out there who thing they know what they are talking about. Guess what? They do not.

And you Sir, have no clue. You're probably 19 and on Mom and Dad's family share. Well, I have been a pro dork for many years (yeah, I am old) so please, stfu before you post more mindless babble.

Upvote 0
4 months, 2.5 years, 10 years old? Shit, the way my Eris performs rings and answering, it might as well be 100 years old. The first phone by Alexander Graham Bell outperformed this phone in those aspects!

But design and looks are no comparison:
220px-1896_telephone.jpg
droid-eris.jpg

Ahhh, the good old days when phones would actually ring with certainty, and if it went to the missed messaging, you could still pick it up and intercept annoying phone tagging. Speaking of which, how do you "listen in" to Google Voice voice mail anyway? Also why does it not let me ring my other phones anymore with 2.1? Ugh technology, the sweat price of a smaller, prettier, more mobile life... :p

Upvote 0

I don't get it, you seem to take it as some personal affront that we #1 bought the eris and #2 have some complaints/discussions/issues about it here.

or maybe you just think we are stupid? plz let me know, if i don't answer right away it's cause i'm repapering my cage

Upvote 0
Smoke crack often?

To be grammatically correct, it is 'horribly slow' not 'horridly' slow.

The Eris is an entry level Android phone. It is actually just fine for most of the things you complain about. It does lag sometimes, but guess what? All devices do. Is that 4 nanoseconds you were robbed really that important?

I swear to god, there are so many self important tech noobs out there who thing they know what they are talking about. Guess what? They do not.

And you Sir, have no clue. You're probably 19 and on Mom and Dad's family share. Well, I have been a pro dork for many years (yeah, I am old) so please, stfu before you post more mindless babble.

Actually its horridly not horribly.

Main Entry: hor

Upvote 0
Correct. I am in violation.

That statement right there proves you to either be a liar or an idiot. If you actually knew for a fact any of the garbage you are claiming then why in the hell would you have ever purchased an Eris? If you you worked for either of the companies involved in the Eris you could have picked up a "better" phone. Buying the Eris when you already new it was outdated or being used to dump a certain processor makes you the chump of the day. Breaking an NDA to troll an internet forum makes you an even bigger loser.

So you are either a liar or an idiot. Either one makes you not worth listening to.

Upvote 0
4 months, 2.5 years, 10 years old? Heck, the way my Eris performs rings and answering, it might as well be 100 years old. The first phone by Alexander Graham Bell outperformed this phone in those aspects!

But design and looks are no comparison:
220px-1896_telephone.jpg
droid-eris.jpg

Ahhh, the good old days when phones would actually ring with certainty, and if it went to the missed messaging, you could still pick it up and intercept annoying phone tagging. Speaking of which, how do you "listen in" to Google Voice voice mail anyway? Also why does it not let me ring my other phones anymore with 2.1? Ugh technology, the sweat price of a smaller, prettier, more mobile life... :p

I wonder what's wrong with my Eris. It rings and calls readily (I confess to adjusting that via the well-known, much posted tower polling tweak in the device's menu), and it texts readily and it browses the internet readily and rather attractively in its stock browser.

All the things it did in the store before I purchased it.

I wonder what's wrong with it.

Upvote 0
I wonder what's wrong with my Eris. It rings and calls readily (I confess to adjusting that via the well-known, much posted tower polling tweak in the device's menu), and it texts readily and it browses the internet readily and rather attractively in its stock browser.

All the things it did in the store before I purchased it.

I wonder what's wrong with it.

Well, apparently if it works properly you should take it back. There is obviously something wrong with it if it does what it is supposed to. I mean how could it do anything that it was built to do when it was only made to dump parts and is SO outdated. I say that all of us with phones that run apps, make calls and don't have these "horrid" lag problems need storm Verizon today and complain about how well our phones work. They are apparently supposed to be terrible and we are stuck with the great running lemons.

Upvote 0
The Eris is an entry level Android phone.

Agreed it is an entry level Android, as a matter of fact I got my Eris free by ordering online with my new every 2. And not only is it the best FREE phone I've ever owned, it's the best smartphone I've ever owned. I've owned multiple WinMo phones and Blackberrys and the Eris crushes them IMHO. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

OfTheDamned said:
If you actually knew for a fact any of the garbage you are claiming then why in the hell would you have ever purchased an Eris?

Yeah! (with deep Voice)

Upvote 0
I knew the Eris was not the latest and greatest and that it was running an outdated version of Android when I got it. I didn't feel like I needed to have the more cutting edge Droid - especially since I hated the look and feel of it.

This is my first smartphone and I am constantly amazed at all the things that it can do. I never thought I needed a smartphone, and now I can't imagine how I ever lived without it.

I'm glad I don't feel the need to always have the latest gadget. It's a losing battle. As soon as you get the new thing, the next thing comes out. I have generally kept my phones well past the end of the two-year upgrade period simply because it seemed like too much trouble to get used to a new one. Lately, I've found the phones tend to break right around that 2-year mark though, so I'm sure I'll upgrade when this is due for one. Until then, I'm very happy with my Eris.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones