bump app

1. wftomlin

wftomlin Member

My wife and I each have galaxy s 3's. When I 'bump' a 1.2MB pic to her phone, it arrives as an 84KB file. Can't find any setting to change this. Anyone else have this problem?

Advertisement
    :
  2. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

Welcome to the forums! is the pic coming thru properly? or is bump sizing it down?
  3. wftomlin

wftomlin Member

Thanks for replying.

I ran another test. Here are the results:
    Original pic is 3264 x 2448 and 4.15 MB.
    "Bumped" pic is 816 x 612 and 243 KB

Width and height are both 1/4 of original and size is roughly 1/16.

Pic looks fine, just smaller.
  4. RyanB

RyanB Distributor of Awesome VIP Member

OP, if both parties involved have SGS3s, why not just use Android Beam (or whatever Samsung's equivalency is called). I hold Bump in a dim view to begin with, and I can't help but imagine that using the newer files transfer system would do better than downsize your pics.
    wftomlin likes this.
  5. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Not quite sure what "Bump" is, but I guess it's down-scaling the images. When I transfer pictures to a friends phone I do send via Bluetooth, and they get the images full size.
  6. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

Agree, should work much better than Bump which was designed to be used long before better solutions like NFC were implemented.
  7. RyanB

Just so you're in the loop, this is bump.
    mikedt likes this.
  8. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

I see, it's an app that runs on two devices and the actual transfer is done over the internet via Bump's servers. I bet it's downsizing the images because most people probably don't need full 5-8megapixel 2-3MB JPGs, much faster and also saves on wireless data as well.
  9. RyanB

Probably. At least when I used it, it required a GPS lock as to where the "bump" occurred, making it absolutely useless indoors.
  10. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

That's true, otherwise it wouldn't know who's bumping what and where. Seems like to me it's more of a novelty than been truly useful. Both phones must have the app, both have to be online, and both must have an accurate GPS location fix. WiFi location can be notoriously inaccurate sometimes.

What does the dev get out of this? Location and tracking information of the app's users, as well as total access to all the content that gets bumped..
  11. RyanB

Oh I understand that the dev(s) get something out of it (and don't fault them for trying), I just find the method chosen to be quite prohibitive to the actual use of the product.
  12. wftomlin

wftomlin Member

Thanks everyone. We have only had these phones for a week and we're learning. We enabled 'S beam'. I received a reply to my email to the 'bump' folks just this morning. It basically said they resize to save time on file transfer and..."hope to include a full res sharing feature in the future, however I can't guarantee if or when that will happen."

Thanks again!
  13. hstroph

hstroph Well-Known Member

Hmmm, so the dev arbitrarily modifies your file "to save time"? What if you're transferring a large text file? Will they remove every other letter "to save time"?

I don't like it when content is arbitrarily modified.
  14. Parshooter

Parshooter Well-Known Member

Well you don't use Bump for large text files and the such. I've used Bump for contact info, pictures, and apps, and it's worked fine.
  15. RyanB

I share your sentiment, though I would hazard to guess that text is the smallest file type by a country mile when compared to audio,video,pics, etc. It's the one I would worry about the least.