1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Business Card Scanner OCR Reader ect.

Last Updated:

1. shaffe43

shaffe43 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I am looking for a business card scanner app. I know there are a ton on the market but i can not find one that gives me the option to add the cards to a database.

I would like to be able to have the cards added to the database and then be able to open the database and search by company or name ect.

If there was an option to add to contacts that would be ok as well.

Point is i have prolly 1000 business cards and do not want them in my contacts even if i make a trash group it is just not worth the effort.

Advertisement
  2. bgrutter

bgrutter Well-Known Member

Subscribed. Excellent question.

3. SeaGrizzly

SeaGrizzly Well-Known Member

I am not sure why you wouldn't want them in contacts, that is where you can search and call and do everything from? I would think that if these cards are important enough to need in your phone they could be in contacts without issue? I could be wrong but it seems like it would be a hassle to have two contact DB's on the phone. Also Googles will scan your card and OCR them for you just so you know.

4. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

Just use Google Goggles. Take a picture of the business card, and it will read it and give you an option to save the contact to People, along with the option to edit fields.

Then just assign them a group, like "Business" and under menu -> view -> Phone -> Uncheck "Work" and they won't show up normally. But then just go to the groups tab, open Work, and voila.

5. justinandroid

justinandroid Member

Google Goggles!!!

6. jtiseo

jtiseo Member

7. shaffe43

shaffe43 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for all of the replies ill look into using a group and then unchecking them so they dont display on the normal phone contacts.

I don't need all of the contacts in my phone by any means, but the main reason i want them in there is so i have a soft backup of them.

Thanks again!

8. saturnine.fei

saturnine.fei New Member

I got a little excited when I read that Goggles could do this. Sadly, Google Goggles doesn't do a very good job. It can't read the text very well when it OCRs it and doesn't understand the fields for addresses, nor does it give anything more than an address when putting it into contacts (the few times it has that option available when "scanning" a card with the phone). Nice try, but goggles has never worked as advertised with my DRIOD. Such is life. I'll have to wait for better versions of the app.

9. sandiegodude

sandiegodude New Member

I tried Google Goggles as well as BizCardReader. Both SUCK.
    I miss World Card Mobile on my WM phone- that things was 90% correct every time.

10. RICKING

RICKING Active Member

i have bizcard reader and it is awesome, i have the paid version, $8.95 and well worth it i have over 2000 contacts and i only took 500 photos of cards and it worked perfect

11. xmscan

xmscan Banned

Hi Saturnine, maybe you could try ScanCard. Actually, it became a "free" app recently. (instead of previous lite version) on Android Market.

You would be able to capture images, recognize and save limitless cards. The service is also cloud-based, which means your cards are backed up on the cloud service as well. Then you will be free to manage your contacts anywhere at anytime. The only constraint is that you need a web synchronization account, which is free charge as well, to use the solution.

By far, we are the only