Business functions

Last Updated:

1. rideright

rideright New Member This Topic's Starter

New to android..been using WM 6.1...sync with outlook obviously seemless.

Need the same type of functionality but it doesn't have to be with outlook. Looking for options to use for business. Being a small company I can go anyway I want, don't have any restrictions other than need to sync all with phone, laptop and desktop. Beginning to travel more so contact, calendar and task must sync (notes and a Today front end would be nice).

I have tried Dejaoffice but I end up with 2 sets of contacts and calendars (Samsung and Dejaoffice) not to mention that the UI is lame (had just as good 15 years ago with Instant Recall). Don't mind rooting the phone if needed.

So what options exist in the open source world? Love my captivate phone but need to be able to do business to keep it. Anxious to hear how the rest of the Android world does it.

Advertisement
  2. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

It's unfortunate but there isn't a perfect unified all-in-one syncing solution.

Right now I have email syncing perfectly by virtue of using a high-quality IMAP email provider. I use K-9 on the Captivate and Thunderbird on the desktop.

I have calendars syncing perfectly by using my Google Calendar on the Captivate, and plugins for Thunderbird on the desktop.

Contacts are my biggest weakness. I have yet to find a good contacts-syncing solution. I am still experimenting with various options.

Tasks and notes have their own independent syncs, but they don't integrate on the desktop into my Thunderbird setup. They're their own websites/services.

3. txtigah

txtigah Member

I use Google Chrome on desktop and Google email in which I have several email accounts set up. All of the email syncs perfectly with the Gmail android app, the calendar, contacts and tasks. I also use Jorte on the phone as a calendar app..very useful and syncs great except for tasks, which, at present, have to be manually synced but is wireless...no big deal. Quickoffice, which can be set up to also incorporate Drop Box, syncs Google Docs perfectly. Drop Box can be used for docs and all other files, pics, etc.

Managing expenses, mileage, etc...check out...aCar, Expensify (syncs online--with receipts, mileage (put miles in $$ and "miles" as merchant), and/or Mileage Tracker. All very good.

You will thoroughly enjoy Android.

4. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

I don't use Gmail for my email since it doesn't provide enough features, power or flexibility for my needs. I like having a real native email client. Certainly if I used Gmail and Google Contacts, it'd solve the contacts sync issue.

However, having all my contacts as Google/Gmail contacts would suck because Google contacts are more-limited in what you can do and what data you can store for them on the Captivate. For example, Google contacts can't have custom ringtones.

5. blackhemi

blackhemi Well-Known Member

i use google apps. Google Apps Standard Edition helps groups build communities - Google Apps Standard Edition

its like gmail, but tailored to my domain. Everything is synced for me. Depending on biz size, google apps may charge. Im less then 50 users, so im free. Google has a sync tool for other phones thay may be in your group that are not android, Google Sync for your phone .

Then google has a calendar sync tool for pc's, Getting started with Google Calendar Sync - Google Calendar Help

If you are a small business, I would really look into the google apps. things sync up great. You can share calendars, contacts, docs, etc. You may need to know or have an IT guy or your web site developer help out on pointing certain things on you server or hosting site. you would be able to set up url's for your mail, calendars, etc like mail.yourdomain.com or calendar.yourdomain.com, or however you want. Its quite powerful. :)

6. blackhemi

blackhemi Well-Known Member

ringdroid will allow you to set up a ringtone for them.

what kind of features are you looking for that a client can give? I use my gmail with outlook on my main desktop with no issues?

7. rideright

rideright New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the input. I'll check out google apps, but I didn't think google had a task list function.

Also, I'll have to get used to not using folders...if that's possible, I am involved with 4 different businesses and have 14 different business e-mail accounts. So I use lots of outlook rules to sort and file the e-mails as they come in. Not sure how google apps can handle integrating the different companies.

8. randy_c

randy_c Well-Known Member

I have been using myphoneexplorer sync contact, back up sms etc.. it's free

9. 3gAndroid

3gAndroid Well-Known Member

I work in three environments. Linux, Mac, Windows, thus I need cross platform compatibility with flexibility for the various smartphone platforms I use.

Zimbra Desktop is a great solution, and it's free.

It handles my large database of clients, notes, history, etc. Backed by VMware, it's a very well supported application. It's fast, stable and trouble free.

source: Zimbra Desktop

10. GeorgeinLA

GeorgeinLA Well-Known Member

11. evperry

evperry Well-Known Member

After reading this, im going to buy my epic 4g tomorrow.