• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

BUSINESS TRAVELER - END OF MY ROPE WITH GALAXY CALENDARS

AJotr

Lurker
Sep 4, 2013
Since I first got my Samsung Galaxy S4 about 18 months ago, as a business traveler I have had nothing but problems with the TIME ZONE settings.

I leave the Main Time & Date Settings of the phone in general on my "home" Zone and then - god forbid - I cross the International Date Line and NOTHING in the Calendar lines up correctly.
+++ Its as thought the Main Time & Date Settings (Local) and the Calendar Date & Time (Regardless of Setting) DO NOT COMMUNICATE WITH EACH OTHER AT ALL. +++

OR I switch the Settings (Main OR Calendar) to the Local Time Zone, and then ALL OTHER ENTRIES are off by one day (+/-). There seems to be ZERO capability for the phone to simply KEEP the entries made previously in that starting time zone (e.g. Home Zone) while assigning ALL NEW entries to the correct LOCAL Time Zone (Date / Time).
It seems to be one or the other, but not both.

Example:
I book a flight and want to separately list my Departure Time in the Home Zone, and my Landing Time in the Local Zone. If I cross the International Date Line then they will be separate days. But my Calendar still thinks I am in the Home Zone DAY (NO MATTER WHAT I DO). If I left on Friday the 23rd, then no matter where I go and no matter what the local Network Sync says or even if I force a different Time Zone in the Calendar, the Calendar STILL thinks I am on the same Time Zone as the day I left. If I fly from Oregon to Hong Kong and I leave on the 23rd, lose the 24th in flight (thats what happens when you cross the IDL flying West), and land on the 25th, even though the Network sets the phone to the 25th, the damn Calendar will not budge from the 24th!!! Infuriating!

Telling the CALENDAR PROGRAM to pick the Time Zone based on the Network vs setting to a Permanent Time Zone - MAKES NO DIFFERENCE with this issue. Either way something gets screwed up.

My MAIN Phone SETTINGS for "Time and Date" for the phone in general are always Accurate, whether set manually or via Network. This makes NO DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER to the CALENDAR PROGRAM ISSUE.

This is PURELY a Calendar Problem - the Calendar program is NEVER CORRECT when I change Time Zones.

I tried to see if I could make a separate "Calendar" for strictly Travel Appointments, but that seems to require me to set the Local Time Zone with EVERY SINGLE ENTRY. Pain in the ass.

MAIN QUESTIONS:

1) Is there a way to AT LEAST make a Calendar on the phone that is BY ITSELF permanently set to the Local Time Zone? So I do not have to set the damn Time Zone every single time I make a new Local Appointment?

2) Any other solutions?

Again if I set the Whole Calendar Program to the Local Zone it screws up EVERY SINGLE PREVIOUS ENTRY, and there is STILL a lack of coherence between the Actual Date / Time and the Appointment Date / Time.

This has been the case since Day One of my using this phone 18 months ago. No amount of updates, new Android Operating Systems, etc have fixed this issue. Everything else in the phone works fine.

I can only compare it to my good Ol' PALM TREO where at least you could make it so that all Future Entries would assign to a new Time Zone (Local). Yes that was permanent, so entries made in different Time Zones were listed weirdly but at least stayed on the correct day / date / time.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ANYONE WHO CAN HELP ME WITH THIS. :) :) :)

In the event anyone from Android Development actually reads this, another KEY MISSING FEATURE is that when I have a Recurring Event, I sometimes need to REMOVE ONE SINGLE INSTANCE. Currently you can only remove "All Future Events" or "All Listings" of a given event (i.e. complete deletion or all occurence from this point forward). +++ That is UNBELIEVABLY LAME. +++
-----> You need a THIRD OPTION - "Delete Only This Occurence." End of Story. <-----
And yes, my Prehistoric Palm Treo COULD DO THIS!!!

The problem is not related to Android but the calendar app itself. From what I understand you have been trying to change settings in the phone settings menu. On Android, each app has it's own settings menu inside itself. As you have a Samsung, I'll assume you have the S Planner app. Not sure if I understand you correctly, but from what I gather, the calendar app seems to be locked into the time zone of your point of origin? The S Planner has a setting to lock the time zone of the calendar to point of origin. Open the S Planner app, press the menu button, then choose settings and disable lock time zone. In the event that your network carrier screwed up the phone and some settings are lost or they gave you a different calendar app than what Samsung provides, simply download a different calendar app from the PlayStore and use that. aCalendar is pretty good.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones