Business Users advice required

Last Updated:

1. shttw

shttw Active Member This Topic's Starter

Looking to get an Android as the new blackberry just doesn't cut it.

Some great phones on the market (am with vodafone so choice is limited) but don't mind buying a handset elsewhere - I like the droid but hard to find in the UK - is it the milestone here?

Now the thing that worries me most is the phone to PC synching. Blackberry does this very well backing up all my contacts and emails etc.

Having tried the HTC synch it's bl**dy aweful! When it connects. Do other manufacturers have better PC software?

So advice from exisiting business users please. Prefferably ones who handle a lot of mail from a domain e-mail address.

Thank you. :)

Advertisement
  2. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

Just use ActiveSync.

3. MajorProbes

MajorProbes Well-Known Member

Ive toyed around with several options for my mail. I ended up transfering everyone over to google apps mail: Google Apps 8gb mail storage with IMAP @mydomain meaning i could sync all via google rather than worrying about syncing.

If you have an exchange mailbox with an existing provider then activesync is probably the way to go as suggested by A.Nonymous

shttw likes this.
  4. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

I think most Android phone manufacturers are moving away from syncing everything via the PC, and making it more internet based (ex. Google accounts). Android has no way to do it short of manufacturers methods.

I personally like the Google account method more, since its more automatic. But I don't use my phone for business, so my opinion really doesn't count.

5. shttw

The google concept is interesting and not one I'd considered before. Will my customers still be able to send and receive emails to sales@"mycompany".com yet I am secretly using google?

If this is the case then my BB days could be over. Happy to synch to a cloud. It does appear to be the future.

6. shttw

Answered my own question:

Absolutely. If you already have a company domain name, or need to create a new one, Google Apps can meet your needs. Each user at your domain will get a Google Apps account branded with your own domain name. Email addresses take the format 'username@yourdomain.com

7. MajorProbes

MajorProbes Well-Known Member

There's a free account you can sign up with to to trial it, before you take the plunge :)

8. JaneN

JaneN Active Member

I hit a different sync problem today with my new HTC Desire, it pulled through some random annual, monthly and weekly appointments as daily ones. HTC advised me to full factory reset, and now the phone won't recognise that sync is on the pc. They suggest a firmware fault with this handset.

I could swap the phone, but I'm not sure if the problem with the recurring appointments is fixable? Should I go for a different handset?

9. shttw

have signed up on the trial - big thanks.

can't upgrade until 23rd so sweating on that now. :D

HTC synch really does suck *censored* lol