• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Busted by AT&T

well after 2 months of using the N1 with a $10 medianet family plan i got the dreaded text and email saying my plan had been upgraded to the $30 smartphone plan.

Dear Valued Customer,

We hope you are enjoying your Smartphone! We appreciate and value your business and want to be sure you are aware of a change we've made to your account to ensure you have the best possible experience with data usage in the United States.

Smartphones are made for data consumption-surfing the web, social networking, email and more. That's why we require a Smartphone data plan in conjunction with our Smartphones. This ensures that customers with data intensive devices are not unpleasantly surprised with high data pay-per-use charges.

For whatever reason, our records indicate your Smartphone does not have an eligible data plan. We have added an appropriate Smartphone data plan for your device.

If you would like to select another Smartphone data plan or have questions, please call 1-800-331-0500 (or 611 from your wireless phone) or visit att.com/smartphoneplans.

Thank you for being an AT&T customer. We look forward to continuing to provide you with a great Smartphone experience.

Sincerely,

AT&T

on xda forums there is a thread on this...

Apparently google gave the n1 imei's to at&t.

I sense a horrible disturbance in the force..

It also screws up my own chances of getting one.

I was going to get it because it *WAS* cheaper than iphone..

now it is about as expensive.. well way more expensive really..

I really, really don't know what to do.. 200 mb won't be enough from what i've read.. and 2 gigs is pretty expensive..

I'm SOL

Upvote 0
In all fairness to google..

At&t doesn't have but, one android phone.. and google is trying to get the nexus one out of their online store..

I have a feeling I don't know if its bad or good.. but, something big is about to happen.

Google giving away imei's to at&t, apple's WWDC conference monday, and at&t ending unlimited data..

I don't know what.. but,s omething big is about to happen and either suck.. or rock or socks.

Upvote 0
Google giving away imei's to at&t, apple's WWDC conference monday, and at&t ending unlimited data..

No one is giving away IMEIs.

The IMEI is a "standard" identifier. Based on this number "anyone" can easily find the maker and model of a cell phone from sites like this.

If you want to get more details from the IMEI you need to get access to the IMEI database from associations like GSMA.

Upvote 0
technically yes AT&T already HAD the IMEI numbers...
however they can now identify that it is a nexus one.

i work for AT&T, before my profile in the billing system said "unknown equipment"
i checked the other day(when i saw the big post on XDA) and my profile in the billing system now says "HTC Nexus One"

Upvote 0
technically yes AT&T already HAD the IMEI numbers...
however they can now identify that it is a nexus one.

i work for AT&T, before my profile in the billing system said "unknown equipment"
i checked the other day(when i saw the big post on XDA) and my profile in the billing system now says "HTC Nexus One"

The fact that AT&T did not update your profile in the billing system is just a matter of updating their system with the "current" GSMA database. All manufacturers are assigned a unique ID number, but they must submit other relevant information Model # / Type... etc to the standards body for filing before the phones can be made/distributed. These unique identification numbers are assigned to each phone during the manufacturing process and are available to the makers before each assembly run. If you buy a phone that was recently made, it will in the standards' body database and very likely not on in the telco database until they update their systems.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones