1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

BusyBox install help

Last Updated:

1. psufan5

psufan5 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Yes my phone is rooted...

Trying to run metamorph on the droid but I apparently need busybox first. I am having problems installing it. I tried to follow the directions:

cd to your adb tools directory
    adb push busybox /data/local/busybox
    adb shell
    su
    cd /data/local
    chmod 755 busybox
    ./busybox
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    mkdir /system/xbin
    /data/local/busybox cp /data/local/busybox /system/xbin
    /data/local/busybox cp /data/local/busybox /system/bin
    cd /system/xbin
    busybox --install .
    mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    sync
    reboot

--------

I dont have an adb tools directory... and adb isnt even a command on my phone... There has to be something I am missing... Also, if I get those working, how would I get the file where it needs to be? I tried copying it from my SD card into the directory, but it never shows up...

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. phwaap

phwaap Well-Known Member

Are you rooted? adb is part of the android SDK. This method pushes from your PC to your device. Sounds like you're trying to run adb through a terminal on your device?

If you're rooted already the easiest way imo is to 1) download the unzipped busybox to sdcard, mount system rw, cat busybox to /system/xbin/busybox (make sure this directory is created), cd to /system/xbin, ./busybox --install .

That's how I did it. If you have a root file explorer you might want to change your path to include xbin before the rest of path as well.

3. taz55

taz55 Well-Known Member

I need some help to. I am rooted and have adb. I am following this guide Install Busybox | Root Your Droid

not sure what I am doing wrong, i download the file, unziped it. took the file out of the folder and stuffed it in my adb directory then followed the guide.

I get stuck where it says ./busybox I get a permission denied and i can't go any further any ideas?

4. Shadowtech

Shadowtech Well-Known Member

I followed that guide as I had to reinstall busybox and couldn't find droidroothelper again. This was the first time I've actually used the adb shell in my rooting, but I had no problems at all following those steps listed in the guide. Perhaps you missed a step at the beginning or something? Are you sure you have USB debugging enabled in settings/applications/development?

5. taz55

taz55 Well-Known Member

Im pretty sure i followed it. i did find the droidroothelper and that worked. so i must of messed up something.