• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help BusyBox what for?

bbqbrisket

Feb 12, 2013
So, I now have a rooted.
I see a lot of talk about now being able to use BusyBox. So, I downloaded this app. Opened it up and it looked like it was too complex for a simple user like me.
So, if I don't know what all the jargon is or about programming, what do I need it for?

BusyBox provides several stripped-down Unix tools in a single executable file. It runs in a variety of POSIX environments such as Linux (including Android),[7][8] FreeBSD[9] and others, such as proprietary kernels, although many of the tools it provides are designed to work with interfaces provided by the Linux kernel. It was specifically created for embedded operating systems with very limited resources. The authors dubbed it "The Swiss Army Knife of Embedded Linux",[10] as the single executable replaces basic functions of more than 300 common commands.

Busybox is a collection of simple, but powerful, Linux utilities, that android doesn't come with by default. It is used by apps like MetaMorph and Titanium backup in order to do special operations.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones