But what you can do with JUST 3G?

Last Updated:

1. hchristians

hchristians Active Member This Topic's Starter

I think this is a great idea for thread discussion, alot of people are worrying about the isolated/limited connection to Sprint's 4G, I think its a little overblown, the Evo will still be an awesome phone. What are some things on the Evo only accessible by 4G and not 3G?

For example, I've noticed the general knowledge of consumers didnt know youre still able to use Qik by both front and rear cameras via 3G, granted I dont know if the quality is better if used by 4G, however its still useable, if youve been watching the sticky thread above about general information on the Evo, there has been some Qik links where a Sprint or other marketing employee has been recording videos via the front facing 1.3 camera, in Kansas City, where they dont have 4G yet. Not only that but Qik is also available in the Android Market for other phones. --->Android Market
    Qik, and Video Sharing? hell yes.
    Video Chatting through 3G? Possibly not.

I've also noticed in some Evo videos a Sprint employee states that the option to watch HQ Youtube videos only occurs in 4G, but I'm still curious as to what the quality is on 3G. I've also read that you can watch Hulu via the Skyfire browser, which to me is HUGE plus, unfortunately, Skyfire isnt available on Android just yet.

any other opinions?

Advertisement
  2. dylan88

dylan88 Well-Known Member

the 3G reception where i live is great. i dont think i will have any problem using the evo with 3G. and i dont know many people that use Qik anyways, so i dont realy care about that.

3. Nitraine21

Nitraine21 Well-Known Member

I would think if you had a strong wi-fi connection, you could take advantage of the 4g only advantages, and wi-fi connections are ample a lot of the places you go...

4. ajac09

ajac09 Banned

thats the only bad thing about this phone to fully enjoy it you will need to be one of what 50 million americans in a 4g area? But even without 4g still gonna a good phone and wifi will mean you can use it like its 4g just pretend the wifi is a 4g symbol lol

5. acp

acp Well-Known Member

4g is not even one of the reasons I want this phone, I just consider it to be a bonus.

6. ajac09

ajac09 Banned

agreed I like mainly the camera (can take pics of the kiddo with a good resolution the camera on my tp2 SUCKS) the screen size the 1ghz processor and well cause its also on my favorite cell phone carrier sprint!

7. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

I would think they're just doing their best to market the benefits of 4g. I don't think the phone will care one way or the other what kind of service it using. Though, maybe certain apps will only work if it detects a 4g signal. Maybe they don't want those data intensive apps clogging up their 3g network?

8. LatinP

LatinP Well-Known Member

Just wanted to clear up a few things... there is 0 (zero) quality loss when using Qik on 3g over 4g. The app itself was made for and optomized for a 3g connection, the fact that Sprint partnered with them and added it on the Evo is all about marketing Qik was around long before the Evo. Qik only streams in 2 different formats normal and high quality, neither of the 2 surpass 480p so there is no such thing as Qik HD.

As far as YouTube that statement is incorrect, I can watch HQ movies on my Samsung Moment, all I have to do is click on the more option in the video player and click switch to HQ. What is new is the player which automatically detects HQ videos and streams them over HQ automatically. Now again HQ is not HD. These terms are often confused and companies use this to their advantage making it seem like HQ means HD. HQ (high quality) is usually a standard definition video file usually 480p that looks much better than what they consider the normal SD (320p). High Definition or HD is 720p or greater and usually you can tell the difference as it takes much longer to buffer because of the huge file size, thats generally why they don't give you an option to view full blown HD movies on mobile phones.

9. ajac09

ajac09 Banned

10. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

i am covered by 4g =)

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk