• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Button Lights On...?

LarryAhmeen

Sep 26, 2009
Dear All,

I have this really crappy eye disorder I inherited genetically. It means my ability to see low light when other light is on is really poor. It's called Retinitis Pigmentosa.

When the screen of my HTC Hero is on, I can't see the physical buttons at the bottom at all, they just come across too dark to me in contrast to the light screen.

What would be really be ideal is for the buttons to stay on as long as the screen is on. Basically, if the screen is lit, so are the buttons.

I know this would deplete energy, but it would be totally worth it for me.

Do you think there is any way I could implement this, and is there someone I could mention it to for the future?

All the best.

What would be really be ideal is for the buttons to stay on as long as the screen is on. Basically, if the screen is lit, so are the buttons.

You're not alone in this, Larry. It's been requested here too.

Do you think there is any way I could implement this

It's merely a workaround more now, but light movement of the trackball will bring up the backlights. Of course they'll dim out again but at least they'll let you identify the keys.

Upvote 0
These Forums are great!

Many thanks for your swift response. I know what you suggest is simple, but it hadn't occurred to me and will help until a more solid solution is found.

It's interesting viewing the other thread, as you say, clearly lots of people are rooting for this. It seems to me that Android is in position where if enough users sign on, and then request something, real results will happen.

I'd be very interested to see what forums like this can achieve in terms of influencing the developers.

Thanks again Slug for your advice!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones