Buy Nexus S unlocked, or other phone?

1. nadavnaz

nadavnaz New Member

My dad is going to the states, wants to buy a phone there. AT&T/T-MOBILE bands both work where I'm from.

Question is, is there any reliable and easy way to buy other phones except the nexus S unlocked? The phone needs to be STOCK unlocked.

I was thinking of the motorola atrix/samsung galaxy s II. He can wait for his next trip and buy them unlocked. But will it be possible to buy them unlocked? Or is the nexus S the only phone in the states that can easily be bought unlocked straight out of the box?

Thanks a lot!

Advertisement
  2. quantumrand

quantumrand Well-Known Member

Factory unlocked phones are hard to come by in the US. Most of the time, you need to go through eBay and the like, where the sellers are either out of the country, or have gotten their stock from out of the country. The Nexus S is one of the few phones that can be bought from actual stores unlocked out of the box.

Unlock codes for locked phones are usually pretty easy to get though. There are services that sell them for around $15. On rare occasions, the cell carrier you bought it from will unlock it for you if you ask.