Buy now or wait for AT&T 3G model?

Last Updated: 2011-03-14 16:06:53
  1. JeepWK2

JeepWK2 Active Member

Hi all, curious if I should buy the nexus s now or wait for the AT&T 3G model? Thoughts?

Advertisement
  2. dbairduk

dbairduk Member

well it has 3g anyway? there won't be a model specific to AT&T
  3. vainkdgurl

vainkdgurl New Member

It only has 3g on t-mo. There are reports that they have applied for an fcc license for another model, that could mean an att compatable version. The radios and bands are different so if you have attyou woukd most likely be disappointed unless you only get an edge signal normally.
  4. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

I know the Sprint Nexus S is "coming soon" - I believe they use the same band as ATT..? Think it was on Engadget...
  5. quantumrand

quantumrand Well-Known Member

Actually, I think it may have been Verizon that uses some of the same bands as AT&T, though Sprint might as well. The thing is that even if they use the same frequencies, they don't use the same network type. AT&T is a GSM network, while Verizon and Sprint are CDMA. A Sprint Nexus S likely wouldn't even have a slot for a SIM card, let alone compatibility with AT&T's network.
  6. Droid_Genius

Droid_Genius Well-Known Member

I am on ATT Edge with my Nexus S, I love the phone and I am 90% of the time connected on wifi and I actually accessed edge and it wasn't that slow, grant it slower than usual but faster than I was thinking. Maybe cause I may be one of the last 7 people to be using Edge network lol
  7. broncos7

broncos7 New Member

I do the same thing.
  8. quantumrand

quantumrand Well-Known Member

I used to have an Android on AT&T EDGE. It worked well enough for really basic tasks, like Facebook updates, Twitter, and news apps. As soon as you try to do anything a bit more data intensive, and the slow speed really shows. Webpages generally take a minute or two to load, sometimes so long that I would queue up the page and put my phone in my pocket to wait for it to load. Streaming music, such as with Pandora actually works but does stutter sometimes. Videos, like Youtube, are essentially impossible though.

Now that I have a 3G phone, the difference is painfully clear. Unless you live somewhere that really doesn't have 3G coverage, you should definitely consider holding out for a 3G device.
  9. I'm waiting patiently for a nexus S on ATT 3G. Miss my pure Google phone but don't miss edge when not on WiFi