• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Buy now or wait for new phones?

captenaj

Lurker
Apr 13, 2010
I guess this is an age old question. Should I buy an Android phone now or wait for the new phones coming out?

I have an old, not very smart phone that is on it's last legs. I'm eligible for an upgrade and I know I want an Android. My partner has an Incredible, and it certainly is. I am thinking about the Droid 2 (do I need a physical keyboard with Swype-can I get Swype??), the Droid X (is it too big?), the Incredible (it's not the newest and next week something better may come along), or should I wait? If I wait are all the Christmas sales going to be over and I'll pay $200 for something that I could have gotten for free?

Are people waiting or jumping in while the prices seem good?

Thanks for any help!

My two-part response. :)

Physical Keyboard: I have the original DROID and used to think that I would NEVER have a smart phone without a physical keyboard. But since I became a Swype user, I have used my physical keyboard less and less each month. As of the past 2-3 months, I haven't used it at all. Bottom Line: My next Smart phone will NOT have a physical keyboard.

Buy Now or Wait: Waiting for the next best thing is an endless game in the world of technology, as we all know. BUT!!! Buying a smart phone right now is not smart, IMO. CES International is just over a month away, and we're going to see a lot of cool new Android phones come late January. Now, if you're not interested in the latest and greatest smart phone (i.e 4G / LTE), then this really doesn't mean anything to you. I am currently eligible for an upgrade, but I'm waiting until Feb/Mar. :cool:

HTH

Upvote 0
If you have to be on the edge of the tech curve, wait for 4g. Personally, 3g or 4g, I'd still wait for the next HTC phones to come out. In my opinion, Motorola spends too much money on Verizon maintaining them as their Flagship smartphone manufacturer, and not enough on quality control. I'm still undecided on Samsung.

Upvote 0
If you have to be on the edge of the tech curve, wait for 4g. Personally, 3g or 4g, I'd still wait for the next HTC phones to come out. In my opinion, Motorola spends too much money on Verizon maintaining them as their Flagship smartphone manufacturer, and not enough on quality control. I'm still undecided on Samsung.

Then again, if he has to be on the edge of the tech curve, he'll never buy a phone--or be like me and have way too many lines and my estate will be in contract for about 20 years after I kick the bucket...lol.

LTE phones will not be making an appearance til roughly feb 2011 or so. I say go for it if the phone meets your needs at this moment in time.There is something always bigger and better down the pipe.

One thing that people should really be questioning is the wisdom behind a 24 month contract now that we're constantly pushing for bigger and better all the time with tech. If we could modify the old method of doing things, then these decisions would be a thing of the past :D

Upvote 0
Im in the same boat, upgrade date of December 18th. Leaning toward the X for numerous reasons. I wont see 4G/LTE in my area for a while, probably not before i will be eligible for another upgrade, and new phones wont be out for 3-6 months. At which point I will already be 3-6 months into my contract and only close to a year before I can upgrade again. My only concerns are is the X near its end of life? How long til you think support and updates just die off? I'm hoping the Merge comes out prior to X-Mas so I can at least take a look, but ill still have the 30 day period to return it for another phone.

Ive been ok with my Storm 1 for 18 months, so id assume something as nice as the X will easily keep me entertained for that long.

Upvote 0
Im in the same boat, upgrade date of December 18th. Leaning toward the X for numerous reasons. I wont see 4G/LTE in my area for a while, probably not before i will be eligible for another upgrade, and new phones wont be out for 3-6 months. At which point I will already be 3-6 months into my contract and only close to a year before I can upgrade again. My only concerns are is the X near its end of life? How long til you think support and updates just die off? I'm hoping the Merge comes out prior to X-Mas so I can at least take a look, but ill still have the 30 day period to return it for another phone.

Ive been ok with my Storm 1 for 18 months, so id assume something as nice as the X will easily keep me entertained for that long.

3-6 months? Not a chance. If they're not for sale by CES, they'll debut at CES.

Upvote 0
Didn't the press release say Mid 2011? May debut at CES, but its not like they hit the stores the next day. Plus like I said, my area wont see 4g/LTE for some time.

Anyone have any input on the life of a DX? Does it have much time/support left?

Press release says 1st Q 2011. The Droid X is going to remain where it is until Motorola debuts a 4G smartphone.

Upvote 0
Devices that show up on CES probably won't be available to general public until Q3 of 2011.

The general rule of thumb: if you have the need for a new smart phone now, just do some research and find the best available phone that fits your TASTE and commit yourself. You wait ONLY if you do not have that need at this time.

Please note that I say your TASTE and not your NEED. In my humble opinion, majority of the phones on the market are more or less the same function-wise. It all boils down to personal TASTE.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones