Buy now or wait until next month?

Last Updated:

1. qwertyaas

qwertyaas Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Pretty eager to pick up this phone but not sure if I should wait it out until Samsung gives us a better picture of GPS fix and Froyo or just pick it up now and hope that comes within the 30 days...

Decisions. Has there been any word yet on the fixes?

Advertisement
  2. mongstradamus

mongstradamus Well-Known Member

I personally would wait unless you need to have the captivate within the next couple of days? I am eager to see what the exact fixes are, btw i thought samsung only said galaxy s was getting froyo september , not necessarily the captivate.

3. Bearsyzf

Bearsyzf Well-Known Member

i would get it, they said the GPS fix and the Froyo update should be out in September .

4. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

There's plenty to use and keep you occupied for the next month. Just get it now and enjoy the other benefits. :) Especially if you're new to Android. So much to learn.

It's not all about the lag or the GPS. It'd be like not driving your car for a month because you can't get the squeaky door fixed until then.

5. razholio

razholio Well-Known Member

wait until battery-life and GPS issues are fixed. until then it's just empty promises...

6. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

there is no battery life issue

7. speedfreak32

speedfreak32 Well-Known Member

It all depends on how bad you are in need of a phone. I came from a 3g that was bricked after apples last update. With the frequent price drops I might wait if you are not in a hurry. I agree that there is enough to do to keep you busy for a month. I have no regrets with this phone what so ever. Hell my wife saw me playing Mario bros and decided she wanted to ditch her iPhone.

sixteen12 likes this.
  8. peterpp

peterpp Well-Known Member

I say get it! I love mine.

9. qwertyaas

qwertyaas Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm not in bad need of a phone. But I'm coming from a BB Pearl with no data plan and a nice internet filter at work. I can wait but still eager to pick it up. I probably will regardless this weekend though and I'll keep my ears open before the 30 days are up :)

10. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

Get it

11. baddress

baddress Well-Known Member

12. TnTahoe

TnTahoe Member

go ahead and get it, my gps works fine and i just got mine about a week ago and i have no lag experiences and i love this phone, if the froyo update is as good as they say then i would love it even more, hell im fine with eclair

13. richierich

richierich Active Member

yup get it and enjoy it now. I thought I would have battery life issues but after letting it drain out completely 2 straight times and then recharging it normally I'm seeing prolonged battery life (drastic difference).

14. jdCaptivate

jdCaptivate Well-Known Member

As the other person asked... what battery issues? Its a smartphone. Its an incredibly powerful smartphone. It blows almost everything else on the market away. Go ahead, unplug your laptop and see how long the battery lasts. As far as phones go, the Captivate is the laptop of cellphones.

15. ConceptVBS

ConceptVBS Well-Known Member

Battery life on all new phones are not stellar in the first week or so. After a couple of drains and charges the optimum battery life can be had.

16. Fate0n3

Fate0n3 Well-Known Member

Def get it man... I didn't rlly like it at first but after root, lag fix, JH2 firmware, and customizing the hell out of it I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!! lol Phone was awesome before but it is really cool just take ur time and read about the mods that are capable to the phone then decide

17. Droid_Jon

Droid_Jon New Member

I went ahead and ordered one, personally. For me it was between it and an iPhone and I decided to pull the trigger on an Android. And since my plan is with AT&T, the Captivate is the obvious choice, problems aside. I believe Samsung will live up to their promises and deliver a fix.

18. picklesNICKLES

picklesNICKLES Well-Known Member

Maybe wait on the GPS but dont listen to anyone about the battery life. I admit, when i got this phone I was having MISERABLE battery life....wanted to ditch the phone. But after about a week i started noticing improvements. Now a month later I have to TRY to get this thing to die within a day. THe battery just needs to be worn in.

19. sixteen12

sixteen12 Member

I can't wait for this phone to be out in Canada. I'm so sick of my iPhone 3g barely working.

20. baddress

baddress Well-Known Member

Well there are some that have legitimate battery issues but if your phone does have the problem, it will be obvious and drain down to 0% in like 8 or 12 hours, in this case you can just exchange for a new one, so unless you're worried about the GPS thing just go ahead and get it. (BTW several people have reported GPS spontaneously started working better in the last few days, without even making any changes from stock, so take that for what it's worth.)

21. 3gAndroid

3gAndroid Well-Known Member

I asked myself the same question... wait or buy now. I was so eager to have the Android experience I bought the Captivate upon release.

Now I'm so glad I did.

Frankly I find it's all too easy to follow the pack so to speak & become hyper focused on " the next great version" like Froyo for example. I'm here to say that I decided I would use Eclair 2.1 to learn Android, and then think about upcoming versions.

That's the best decision I've made. First, upon learning eclair and doing just a few things to optimize it (without rooting) I'm very pleased. I have zero lag, battery life greater than my iPhone4, and one sweet, fast & stable smartphone. And it still gets better. A former BlackBerry enthusiast, for it's stellar keyboard & email champion, I've never been fond of the touchscreen keyboard ... till now. SWYPE as implemented on the Captivate is just plain impressive. I'm at least 30% faster than I was on the BB, a statement I never expected to make, and it's really fun to use.

So, the bottom line for me has been nothing but good news, a great experience, and my burning desire for "the latest & greatest has diminished due to the excellent experience I'm enjoying with my current setup. It's also important to note I'm quite picky, so the point being if I'm happy with the present Captivate, that's a pretty good endorsement.

Go for it, you'll be glad you did... :)