• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Buy one get one free, what a croc!

Well, I think you guys should sue them. I know that some of you are going to say, "...but there is fine print" and I say fine print smine frint! Reading fine print is for losers! If the big print says that something is free then it should be free! I cannot believe the nerve of Verizon. They actually wanted you to get another line or sign a contract?!?! WTF?!?! This is obviously just another attempt by Verizon to make money, those evil bastards. It is time we stand up to these greedy corporations that try to make money off of the services and products they provide us. What do they need all that money for anyway? It isn't like they have a bunch of employees to pay or towers to maintain or share holders to appease. They really should just be stopping by our homes ever day and giving each of us a dozen phones. Matter of fact, I am going to sue them for NOT stopping by my house and giving me a dozen phones every day.

Ha sue them? good luck with that

Upvote 0
Although it seems counter intuitive, those of us who are parents will understand that Verizon's policy of inconsistency (some people can get the free phone without new line or being due for renewal -- I did -- and some can't) is what breeds the resentment.

Many of you above answer, "That's the company policy, stop whiining".
But it's not really the corporate policy. The policy seems to be there is a written policy, but individual reps or managers can do what they please.

So bottom line - if someone else got it, you should get it too. Either someone eventually gives it to you, or eventually corporate says screw it, we wrote the policy for a reason, and now we will enforce it.

I understand what you are saying and as a parent I try to be very consistent in my inconsistencies with my kids. It is important for your kids to understand that the rules are the rules. However, I also try to teach my kids that life isn't always fair. The oldest gets to stay up later than the younger because he is older. The younger often gets desert while the older doesn't, because he didn't finish his vegetables. Things like this happen all the time.

In big pappa Verizon's case the same things happen. If you pay over $100 per month then you become a VIP and get extra discounts. If you pay a certain amount a month you are eligible for the friends and family program. If you are an add on for a family plan then you can only upgrade ever 2 years. If you pay your bill on time every month, without fail, then you get a little extra consideration where upgrades are concerned. If you have been a long standing customer and don't have a really long "bitch log" in your customer service history, then you get extra consideration too. If you work for specific companies then you can get extra discounts on your services and/or equipment. If you are always late paying or have had your lines cut off for non payment then you lose a lot sympathy and consideration.

I also think that a lot of the complaints that you will hear come from misinformation or misunderstanding. Not always on the part of the customer (Lord knows there is a lot of that in the wireless world though), but quite often on the part of the CSR too. That is the reason I will usually double, triple or quadruple check what someone tells me before I completely accept it as fact. A great example of this involves calling VZW and asking how much they charge for data roaming. You could probably ask 25 people and get 25 different answers. Are they stupid or screwing you? No, they just don't understand what they are looking at many times.

Upvote 0
Well since it is share time;)

I wanted to get the Eris and my girl (hating her BlackBerry) wanted a new phone as well. We are on a family plan and her upgrade date was December 25th (no idea how that happened) and mine was not until Jan 11th 2010. We also decided to drop our land line and just add a line so that we could have a home phone (don't ask, she wants it and I couldn't care less). So I called 611 and explained what I was trying to do to the CSR, also adding the caveat that I wanted to get the 2 phones at Best Buy to avoid the whole mail in rebate deal. The CSR explained that the little lady was not eligible until Dec 25th and that that date could not be budged. She then asked me to hold for a moment and when she returned told me that my line could be upgraded now and I could add the line as well.

I had another problem with Best Buy. When I called the one by my house they told me that they would not honor the Bogo. I then called 6 more stores until one said, "Sure, no problem."

All of this horrible, grueling work that I went through took me about 20 minutes. This also led to me picking up both of these phones for $25 a piece and saving an extra $60 a month for not having a land line.

Heh, heh heh. Awesomeness must be difficult OfTheDamned.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones