• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Buy Sprint phone now or wait?

mrkun

Lurker
Dec 25, 2011
I'm in the market for a Sprint Android phone (adding a line to parents' family plan) and I'm wondering if I should snag one now or wait awhile. I know Sprint will start moving over to LTE late this year, but I don't really want to wait that long. My main concern right now is being able to upgrade to ICS in the future. Has anything been said about these phones getting it and what do you think I should go with given the price points (from Amazon)?

HTC Evo 4G - $10
Motrolla Photon - $50
Samsung Galaxy SII - $80

My 2¢ says to buy an inexpensive phone off-contract until something concrete comes along w/ICS already on it.
There is no one here that can say w/100% certainty when any of SPRINT'S current line-up of phones will be upgraded.
The only phone that is almost a lock to get ICS w/SPRINT is the NEXUS S.The others,probably at some time down the road,w/the OG EVO being the least likely out of those you asked about.

Your other option is to pick a phone w/a lot of after-market developer support & wait til a stable,but unofficial(CYANOGENMOD) ICS ROM is available for it.

As you stated,4G LTE is around the corner,I wouldn't lock-in to a high-dollar phone on-contract @ this time.

Either of the above options seems to make the most sense to me,JMHO.

BTW,the MO PHO is an excellent phone that I plan on hanging on to for quite a long time.
W/all the docking & webtop options available,it is as close to future-proofing a phone as you'll find anywhere.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones