Buyer's remorse?? What will I use the Nexus 7 for when I get the Galaxy Nexus II?General

1. okungnyo

okungnyo Member

So I ordered the Nexus 7, and I'm going to get the Galaxy Nexus II when it comes out because right now I have a flip phone.

And while waiting, I've read some posts and talked to people who have the Galaxy Nexus 1 and the Nexus 7. And they primarily fall into two camps:
    (1) those whose Galaxy Nexuses have become glorified tethering machines, and who do everything on their Nexus 7s
    (2) those who returned their Nexus 7s after they realized that having both is redundant, and went back to using only the Galaxy Nexuses

Is the Nexus 7 necessary? I would like to hear how you use your smartphone and your Nexus 7. Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. joesixpack

joesixpack Well-Known Member

I've got both, and have no plans on getting rid of either one. I use my GNex while I'm on the go, and my N7 at home. Since the screen is bigger on the N7 (damn astigmatism), I use it for game-playing, web browsing and occasional Skyping wherever I get a wifi signal, and tether it to my Gnex if I have the desire to do the same on the road. Plus, the N7's battery lasts longer so it saves my GNex battery for, well, phone calls!

My wife appreciates this, since she now has the laptop all to herself in the evening!
  3. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie Moderator

Although the N7 is pretty much a big phone without the phone part, the screen size makes a huge difference. When I'm home, I use my LTEvo as a phone ONLY, everything else is on the N7. If I take my N7 on the road, it's mainly as a e reader/movie/games machine. I use my phone for everything else. I do tether, but don't feel the need to do so often. The phone and tablet don't conflict, they compliment each other.
  4. okungnyo

okungnyo Member

But how?? How do they compliment each other?? Please give some concrete examples! >.< (Sorry)

To me, it seems like...correct me if I'm wrong but...so what you're saying is that your phone is now just for texts and tethering? So technically, if you replaced your LTE Evo with a dumbphone and got a Verizon Jetpack for the Nexus 7, it wouldn't impact you in any serious way?
  5. valorian

valorian Well-Known Member

I'm this same way since getting my N7. When I'm at home I never use my GS3 other than phone calls. Everything else is done on my N7.

Away from home I use my GS3 for internet, texting, all the usual smartphone stuff. I too use my N7 as an e-reader when away from home. The only thing I have not used my N7 for is tethering. I couldn't replace my GS3 with a dumb phone as I would still want a smartphone when away from home.
  6. chimphappyhour

chimphappyhour Well-Known Member

Redundant?!? Ha ha! Nooo. Heck, I currently use a GNex for my phone and a N7 AND a 1st gen Asus Transformer with dock. I usually have all three with me most of the time. All three get a fair bit of use and each has its appropriate time and use depending on where I am and what I'm doing.

Obviously, the GNex is my phone. I also use it for text (to both my main number and Google number), games when it seems more appropriate to only play on my phone (I don't know how to explain that one but there just seems to be occasions where it is more accepted to whip out a phone than a tablet.) and internet when I'm not near a wi-fi signal. I will tether one of the tablet if need be but I try to keep that to a minimum to stay under my carrier's radar.

The TF101 still has its uses but that tablet is slightly OT for this thread. The N7 has my books and an occasional movie on it. I also use it for any internet stuff when I'm near a wi-fi signal. I do my Google number texts from it too.
  7. joesixpack

joesixpack Well-Known Member

Why in heaven's name would I even consider going back to a dumbphone? Have you seen the selection you have from your carrier now? Slim pickings, for sure, and getting slimmer by the minute! I didn't travel this far down the technological curve to take a step back. Besides, my N7 isn't pocket-sized!
  8. perfectstranger

perfectstranger Well-Known Member

I use my phone for phone conversations and as a data connection for the N7. The N7 gets used for everything other than phone conversations. There's no way I'll use the 4" screen over the 7" screen.
  9. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie Moderator

Certainly when I'm home, I could easily make due with a dumb phone and my N7. OTH, there are tons of times when i don't want to carry a 7" device with me, which is when my phone takes over. Specifics? That's kind of tough. I'll use the fantasy football mobile apps on my phone for emergency changes in lineup and to keep track of a score, but switch to the web version on the tablet when available for easier control of my teams. Does that work? I had 2 other tablets before the N7. A Viewsonic gTablet that was heavy, clunky and unstable...never used it much. I replaced it with a rooted Nook Tablet which was quirky due to B&N's heavy hand in the OS...after the initial "glow" wore off I found I didn't use it much. With the N7, I find I (and my kids) use it constantly.
  10. viper689

viper689 Well-Known Member

Coming from the owner of a Galaxy Nexus (rooted) and a Nexus 7 (rooted), get both. You will not regret it. I used to struggle through the day with the battery on the GNex but now I don't have to worry about it. I use it at work during the day for calls/texts/news/games/everything, but now when I get home, I can preserve its battery for calls and texts because everything else I use my Nexus 7 for.

Plus all of my Breaking Bad seasons look so much better on the 7in screen :)

Do the right thing. Get both. You won't regret it. It's important to remember that the Nexus won't have a wifi connection everywhere and in that case, you'd need a data plan for your phone. Also remember that it looks weird when people walk around with tablets in their hands in public places lol :p
  11. AlkiDweller

AlkiDweller Well-Known Member

Sure it would. You'd be carrying 3 things instead of 2.

Why take a step backwards, and then add a kludge to make it work?
  12. blahblahyoutoo

blahblahyoutoo Well-Known Member

I carry both devices on the weekdays, and usually just the Gnex during the weekends.
    The Gnex is used to tether on the train during my M-F commute. As soon as I'm off the train, the N7 goes into my messenger bag and I walk around with the Gnex in pocket/hand.

When I get home in the evenings, the N7 is used around the house and before bed.
  13. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

I think they compliment each other.

I use my phone when I'm out-and-about. At work, running errands, etc. I won't carry a tablet for that kind of thing, and a dumbphone wouldn't suffice since I do a fair amount of email/music/podcasts/web browsing. And some picture taking.

When I get home, the phone goes on my desk, and the tablet comes out. I rarely touch my phone after I get home, except for phone calls which aren't very common. If I'm taking a long car ride, or traveling, or going some place where I have to amuse myself for a while, the tablet comes with me and the phone stays in my pocket.

The N7 cuts into the time spent on my phone, not the other way around.
  14. burtonvdp

burtonvdp Well-Known Member

For me its about using the tool that works for that moment in time. My N7 works great for relaxed reading, games, and content consumption when I'm not out and about (Although I do tether with my S3 sometimes). The phone is for my Bluetooth music while driving, texting, pictures, and work email on the go. I guess its more of a communication tool that is handy and easy to carry where as the N7 is more for not on the go things.... The N7 is easy to carry but its nice to have the option of leaving it in the car, home, or office....

The reverse is why would I want to limit myself? If I am already paying for a data plan and a phone plan, is there any real negatives to rocking a smart phone with tethering instead of just a wifi hot spot (which is ever more stuff to carry around)? I would lose a better keyboard for texting/typing, better camera, and better mobility options on the phone side.

Plus the syncing of all of my book marks, currents, emails, photos, apps, contacts, and files over the net make it pretty seamless to jump on either device...
  15. dportal2006

dportal2006 Well-Known Member

You took the words right out of my mind.
  16. okungnyo

okungnyo Member

Thanks guys I've now understood!

Galaxy Nexus II: music, email, phone, texting, when you're in a public place (e.g. on a date) and don't want to look like a douchebag

Nexus 7: videos, books, games, Internet, when you're on the bus or at home

Yep! It looks like they do compliment each other pretty well~!
  17. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

Exactly, I use my N7 at home, work and commute, at which times my N1 basically functions as a tether. But I'd never take my N7 with me going out on weekends or whenever, but you'll still want to do a lot of the smartphone/android stuff you got accustomed to.
    Since I prefer my N7 tho, I really wouldn't feel the need to get a brand spanking new smartphone like the GN2, my N1 still has a lot of mileage left and my N7 will be the beast that handles the more intensive apps.