• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I love this phone and I want it to work out but the battery is for shit. I use an app killer pretty much everytime i touch my phone, and this thing goes down 50% in 4 hours...

btw screen on minimal settings and use static wallpaper

Switch to ADW and let the battery drain every day. I initially had this problem too and almost returned my phone because of it. Now I'm at 90% with 6 hours.

Upvote 0
I love this phone and I want it to work out but the battery is for shit. I use an app killer pretty much everytime i touch my phone, and this thing goes down 50% in 4 hours...

btw screen on minimal settings and use static wallpaper

Using an app killer every time you touch your phone is probably hurting your battery life a lot more than helping it. :p

Upvote 0
I'm starting to have a little buyer's remorse on this phone for three reasons: 1) The lag when I multitask 2) It freezes way too much 3) From things I've read, I don't have a good feeling about Samsung and updates (despite their claim 2.2 is coming). GPS is a concern too, but I don't think it's a deal-breaker.

All of my concerns could just as easily be fixed with 2.2 and a Samsung commitment.

I switched from iPhone 4 to this phone and I love Android so I'm not going back. I'm just not sure it's THIS Android that's going to do it for me.

Even though I already had an equipment exchange last week, I can still return this phone, right? There's some weird wording in the Exchange policy that has me concerned ("You may exchange equipment one time within 30 days from the date the original equipment was purchased or shipped"). I wasn't in a contract before the iPhone 4, and I shouldn't be if I return this?

I may jump ship to the HTC Incredible, but that might end up having the same problems.

Upvote 0
I'm starting to have a little buyer's remorse on this phone for three reasons: 1) The lag when I multitask 2) It freezes way too much 3) From things I've read, I don't have a good feeling about Samsung and updates (despite their claim 2.2 is coming). GPS is a concern too, but I don't think it's a deal-breaker.

All of my concerns could just as easily be fixed with 2.2 and a Samsung commitment.

I switched from iPhone 4 to this phone and I love Android so I'm not going back. I'm just not sure it's THIS Android that's going to do it for me.

Even though I already had an equipment exchange last week, I can still return this phone, right? There's some weird wording in the Exchange policy that has me concerned ("You may exchange equipment one time within 30 days from the date the original equipment was purchased or shipped"). I wasn't in a contract before the iPhone 4, and I shouldn't be if I return this?

I may jump ship to the HTC Incredible, but that might end up having the same problems.

I 100% agree. I don't want to go back to Apple, but I'd rather be in a walled garden and getting consistent updates rather than being free and getting zero support. I'd have no problem if Samsung released EVERYTHING, including the proprietary drivers so the community can do everything else, but they aren't even doing that.

I'm more than positive you'd be allowed to get a refund for your phone too. If not, just do a little bit of arguing, half the crap AT&T does isn't official, ie. upgrade fees.

Upvote 0
definitely no returns for me. I'm coming off of a 4 year old Motorola RAZR V3i so the Galaxy S is light years ahead of that ancient POS. Maybe I dont know any better, maybe I havent pushed my phone to the extent that many of you have, but for me its great.

I'd say a large majority of my friends and coworkers are with Verizon and the ones that are phone savvy are all jealous of my phone.

I went away just this past weekend and forgot to bring my charger (actually, I packed the outlet part but left the USB cable in my computer, oops) so I was worried about it dying on me by Saturday night. Knowing that my only option was to find a charger or cable at a store out where I was or just not use the crap out of it and see how long it lasts, I decided on option #2. I used it to check email and send a handful of texts on Saturday, turned it off while I was sleeping Sat night, then I used it a little more on Sunday, again with emails, texts and about a half dozen 5-10 min phone calls and added some events to my calendar. By the time I got home to plug it in around 11pm Sunday, I still had 36% battery in it. I'm not sure if thats good or bad compared to other smartphones, but I was more than happy it still had that much left.

My yahoo mail works great with the native mail app (i tried the yahoo mail app, just seemed too slow). My only gripe so far is not being able to sync FB contacts, but it has no problem syncing the calendar, go figure.

Upvote 0
I came from an iPhone 3gs. Like others before I was forced to update to OS4, I had no problem with it.
The Captivate is a really good one, I really love it except for one thing. THE EMAIL SYSTEM REALLY SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is my grip about the email
-it takes FOREVER to load your email and this is over wifi
-it takes FOREVER to refresh your email
-yahoo mail DOES NOT WORK over wifi

THE EMAIL SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Before the iPhone, I had the BB curve. Before that I had the BB pearl. And before that I had the motorola Q on Sprint. None of the phone gave me issues with getting my email.

I really hope samsung or 2.2 updates fix this because other then the email system, I love this phone.

Upvote 0
I got a gps test app, and it took around 30 seconds or a little less to hookup with 8-9 satellites and was accurate to 16 feet. Then google maps took around the same time and was accurate between 5-10meters. They both were somewhat less accurate in my house, which I would think is normal. So I don't seem to be having any gps issues. One thing that gets on my nerves and causes me to miss calls in Samsungs asending ring tone. Had an Epix years ago that did the same thing and you couldn't change that, and I don't see anyway to change that on the captivate. I remember that being a huge complaint with the epix.. one would thing samsung would have changed that! I need to charge the phone every night, and im using advanced task killer free. Is the pay version any better? what other features does the donate version have?

Upvote 0
I came from an iPhone 3gs. Like others before I was forced to update to OS4, I had no problem with it.
The Captivate is a really good one, I really love it except for one thing. THE EMAIL SYSTEM REALLY SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is my grip about the email
-it takes FOREVER to load your email and this is over wifi
-it takes FOREVER to refresh your email
-yahoo mail DOES NOT WORK over wifi

THE EMAIL SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Before the iPhone, I had the BB curve. Before that I had the BB pearl. And before that I had the motorola Q on Sprint. None of the phone gave me issues with getting my email.

I really hope samsung or 2.2 updates fix this because other then the email system, I love this phone.

This is one of my issues as well. I never had problem with any of my iphones getting email to work but on this phone, it's like a nightmare... only gmail app works okay but for yahoo mail and hotmail... I never struggled so hard to get email... maybe I should just use the browser to check email instead?

I returned my IPhone 4 for this and starting to regret now. Tell me it's only going to get better. By the way, I was almost late to work today because somehow this phone had shut off by itself last night so I had no alarm. This never happened on my iphones.

Upvote 0
Hey guys,
New to AF but been on HOFO for a while. There is some great info on the forums so much thanks for that.
I am currently on VZW(LG Dare) yes I know i need an upgrade badly. My gf and I are seriously switching to ATT and I'm strongly considering the Captivate. I messed around with one at the store the other day but didn't have much time. I'm new to Android but kinda pyshced about the whole open source thing(I love to tinker).
The gps issue and email has me worried though. If its not fixed soon it may be a deal breaker for me. Hopefully Sammy will issue an update soon. I'm looking to buy in the next 30 days or so. I hate to say it but the Iphone may be my only other choice.

Upvote 0
I really want to know who the #@$% does quality control on these things.

I mean, seriously, we have people who have a GPS that locks on in 10 seconds and 15 feet, and a battery that goes for 48 hours, all with the same exact setup and settings as people who have no GPS signal at all, ever, and 6 hour battery life. (I just make a 7 minute voice call and the battery went from 82% to 47% - what the ???)

Someone explain to me how this is possible?

I'm going to make a thread about this to get to the bottom of it.

Upvote 0
The gps issue and email has me worried though. If its not fixed soon it may be a deal breaker for me. Hopefully Sammy will issue an update soon. I'm looking to buy in the next 30 days or so. I hate to say it but the Iphone may be my only other choice.

what email do you use? Apparently gmail users have no issues at all. I'm using my yahoo mail with the native mail app and haven't experienced any problems so far, but I seem to be in the minority.

as for the GPS, I havent touched mine yet, dont really know what I'd use is for, but maybe Ill try and mess with it today.

Upvote 0
what email do you use? Apparently gmail users have no issues at all. I'm using my yahoo mail with the native mail app and haven't experienced any problems so far, but I seem to be in the minority.

as for the GPS, I havent touched mine yet, dont really know what I'd use is for, but maybe Ill try and mess with it today.

I currently am using Gmail primarily so that may be a non-issue for me. However, I do still use Yahoo.mail fairly regularly as well. If your having no problem with the native app, that good news. thanks

Upvote 0

Turn on wifi and see if you can check your mail for yahoo with the native email app.

Upvote 0
I left my BB bold 9700 last weekend for a captivate. Granted, I've been lusting after an android device for quite some time now, but I got this thing with some rather healthy skepticism and am fully prepared to return it after my 30day 'trial period'.
So far, I've been impressed. GPS was a pain and a disappointment, though the 'stock settings plus auto-config' has done wonders for me. The lack of FF camera and flash is just annoying, but overall, the software wins. Android + marketplace = solution to problems you haven't even discovered yet. The level of configurability and the plethora of system-level apps make it all worth-while.
I'd say battery life is OK to pretty good, and it seems that the battery (or more likely its gauge) needs a little break-in before it will report charge properly. I was getting 1hr of constant play-time for 10% drop in battery charge after only dropping screen brightness (no other mods). I also got 7.5 hrs standby + numerous pics and some play-time in and out of service for about 20% drop in charge.
Things to remember: 1. the wireless radio sucks the most juice. If ya got wifi, use it. I would see my bold's battery drain curve flatten waaaay out as soon as I got home.
2. the screen is the next thirsty component and brightness will play a big role in battery life.
3. having bluetooth and wifi turned on, but idle, doesn't contribute much to battery drain, contrary to popular belief.
4. my multi-email account loving friends use k9-mail from the marketplace. If email sucks for you, give that a try.
5. if you are thinking of messing with taskiller and/or setcpu, try systempanel lite so you can see how well android manages resources.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones