• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Buying a Desire Z overseas instead of a G2

rose4421

Lurker
Sep 26, 2010
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm going to be overseas in a few weeks and am seriously considering buying the Desire Z there rather than getting the G2 in the US (I actually want the Sense UI), and I'm wondering if I take it home and use my T-Mobile SIM card, is it going to affect how I get my Android updates? Will I not get them? And will I not be able to use the HSPA+ speeds? Thanks in advance!

You will not be able to use HSPA+ for certain, and you probably won't be able to use 3G at all. Just EDGE.

You won't get your updates through T-Mobile. I'm not sure, but you'll probably need to download them online and hack them onto your phone. If you're hacking the phone anyways, you might as well just buy a G2, root it, then hack the Desire Z ROM onto it.

No word on how well all those neat HTCsense.com features will work here in the US. Sorry. :/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones